If you have a friend who is always telling secrets and gossiping, there’s a pretty good chance that they have blurted,” But don’t tell anyone!” With someone who is always telling secrets, it can be difficult to remember what you can share with other people and what you can’t.
If you want to let them know you are not the best person to tell secrets to, use one of our amusing comebacks below.
Let us know what you think is the best answer by leaving a comment below. If you can think of an even better comeback, leave a comment below.
15 Best replies to don’t tell anyone
1. Your secrets are safe with me because there was a good chance I wasn’t listening.
2. Your secret is safe with me and my best friend.
3. Don’t worry, if my memory was a worse. I could plan my own surprise party.
4. Your secrets are safe with me because I zone out every-time you speak.
5. Don’t tell me unless you want it shared with 7 people later on.
6. Your secret will be safe with me, unless someone offers me a million dollars. Just kidding… maybe.
7. Just a reminder that I wasn’t supposed to tell anyone anything I told you!
8. It’s not me who can’t keep a secret, it is everyone I tell.
9. Well, a secret is no longer a secret the second you tell someone.
10. No worries, I won’t tell anyone. Unless the FBI asks me about it. Then I might have to reconsider.
11. Don’t worry, I won’t share with anyone.. Unless, of course, you’re secretly a spy and I can use your secrets to take over the universe.
12. Don’t worry, your secrets will be safe with me.
13. I swear on my life I won’t tell a soul.
14. I promise to tell anyone else without your permission.
15. I swear on my life that I won’t tell anyone.
More comebacks you might like
Why do people say don’t tell anyone?
Folks will often say “don’t tell anyone” when they are concerned that they are telling you something very private that they don’t want shared. They could be revealing their deepest secrets or something about their boss, that if shared would reflect badly on them.
When people whisper “don’t tell anyone,” they’re asking the person they are sharing the information with to keep it to themselves and not to share it with others.
There may even be severe consequences if they share personal information that is made public. They could be fired from work or stir up family drama.
Other times, people don’t want embarrassing information being shared all over Tik Tok.
Saying “don’t tell anyone” is trying to assert some control over their personal information. It is important to respect other’s privacy, because if you reveal something inappropriate it could be a deal breaker for the relationship.
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media may earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with someone who keeps saying don’t tell anyone and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.
Better Help is a great resource where you can talk to a counselor from the comfort of your own home.
Taking care of your own needs isn’t selfish, and you will feel better in the long run.