Mocking and humiliating someone for being overweight is hurtful and cruel. Every one of us has something different about us that people could make fun of. When you are overweight, when someone insults you it is usually the first thing they mention, they fat shame you.
If you are carrying a little extra weight, and you are tired of people making rude comments or insulting you, try one of our clever comebacks below.
If you can think of a better comeback, leave it in the comments below.
Best comebacks when you’re called fat
1. I may be chubby, but chubby can slim down, but ugly just can’t be fixed.
2. All the better to sit on you, my dear.
3. Be careful, I ate the last person who commented on my weight!
4. Congratulations on achieving your degree in Master of the Obvious.
5. The only reason I’m fat is because a tiny body couldn’t store all this personality!
6. Fat is a temporary caloric imbalance, but stupid is a permanent genetic malfunction!
7. While you’re over there fat shaming, I’m over here being fabulous.
8. I’m not fat. I’m just easy to see.
9. I’m not fat. I am just party sized.
10. I will eat a bowl of water with a fork before I care what your opinion is of me.
11. I will no longer allow for you to treat me in that manner.
12. Thank you. I’ve just shown me your true colours and level of education and intelligence. I appreciate your transparency.
13. The acoustics in this room are terrible. You wouldn’t believe what I thought I just heard you say!
14. I noticed that you’re a very odd shape yourself.
15. Tell me, does stating the obvious make you feel a whole lot better about yourself?
16. I may be overweight but you have an awful and unkind personality.
17. I don’t respect you enough to care what you think.
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Our FREE Starter Guide will show you the 3 simple steps you can take right now to stand up for yourself so that you can feel confident. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
How to deal with people calling you fat
As long as you’re comfortable with your body, there’s nothing wrong with being fat. But since you’re only human who feels, being called fat really stings. Seriously, who likes being torn apart by their physical appearance? Nobody!
So, if someone calls you fat, heavy, plump or paunchy, there are so many ways to respond that don’t leave you crying in the corner and feeling sorry for yourself. Here’s how you’re going to do it like the boss that you are.
1. First, choose to ignore them; the same way you would a ghost. Beauty is subjective, anyway. What matters is how you feel about yourself and not what others tell you to.
2. Second, you can confront the situation head-on and call their behavior inappropriate, just be calm and assertive about it.
3. Third, respond with a joke and learn to playfully outwit them in their own game. They say we are defenseless without humor — without laughter, a situation can be dispiriting.
Finally, seek support from your friends, family or a professional if necessary. These people are on your side and they can guide you every step of the way.
Remember that nobody can make you feel less about yourself without your permission. Love yourself and accept who you are…then look in the mirror and chant the magic words: You are beautiful and worthy.
Why do people make comments and say that you are fat
Here’s a question: Are you okay with being called fat? Say, someone clocked your BMI and you fell on the obese wagon, does that give anyone a license to call you fat now?
Well, we wouldn’t be facing this dilemma, if ignorant people didn’t make unnecessary comments on someone’s weight or body size. Why do they do it? Unfortunately for many reasons that doesn’t really concern the person they’re body shaming, but of their own inner problems.
- People make negative comments out of ignorance: They are just too insensitive to realize how hurtful their words can be. It’s also a matter of insecurities. They do it to make themselves feel better, wanting to mirror their inner pain to someone else.
2. Calling people fat is just a means of inflicting harm to the person: Bullying and harassing in order to humiliate them.
Whatever their reasons may be, it’s important that you don’t let these negative fat comments steal your thunder. Remember, what these people say about you is not a reflection of your worth.
You are someone who deserves respect, love and kindness — no BMI record can say otherwise.
Go out there and surround yourself with great people. Focus on the good stuff about your life, your well-being and your health.
At the end of the day, only unconditional self-love can fulfill one’s heart.
More weight comebacks you might like
- What to say when you are told that you need to lose weight
- When is your baby due? (woman is not pregnant)
- Read more comebacks
Kate Winslet was bullied and called fat at school
During her We Day speech at Wembley Area, Kate Winselt shared how she was picked on for being overweight in her school days.
I had been bullied at school. They called me Blubber. Teased me for wanting to act. Locked me in the cupboard. Laughed at me. I wasn’t the prettiest. I was even told that I might be lucky in my acting if I was happy to settle for the fat-girl parts. [Casting agents] would say, ‘You’re just not what we’re looking for Kate.’ I’d hear that a lot.
I didn’t lock myself away and give up on my dream. I fought back. I had to ignore the negative comments. I had to believe in myself. I had to choose to rise above it all, and I had to work hard. You have to be indestructible to do what you love, and believe that you are worth it. And sometimes that’s the hardest part. – Kate Winslet
Don’t listen to haters, carry on follow your dreams and keep living your life.
J. K. Rowling talks about fat shaming women
Why do people treat being overweight as some kind of crime? J.K. Rowling shares her thoughts about the fat shaming.
“Fat’ is usually the first insult a girl throws at another girl when she wants to hurt her.
I mean, is ‘fat’ really the worst thing a human being can be? Is ‘fat’ worse than ‘vindictive’, ‘jealous’, ‘shallow’, ‘vain’, ‘boring’ or ‘cruel’? Not to me; but then, you might retort, what do I know about the pressure to be skinny? I’m not in the business of being judged on my looks, what with being a writer and earning my living by using my brain…
You would think that JK Rowling’s accomplishments as the worlds best-selling author would be what people focus on, but she even has people commenting on her weight. Why are people more focused on a women’s weight than her accomplishments?
I went to the British Book Awards that evening. After the award ceremony, I bumped into a woman I hadn’t seen for nearly three years. The first thing she said to me? ‘You’ve lost a lot of weight since the last time I saw you!’
‘Well,’ I said, slightly nonplussed, ‘the last time you saw me I’d just had a baby.’
What I felt like saying was, ‘I’ve produced my third child and my sixth novel since I last saw you. Aren’t either of those things more important, more interesting, than my size?’ But no – my waist looked smaller! Forget the kid and the book: finally, something to celebrate!
Jennifer Hudson lost 80 pounds on Weight Watchers
Jennifer Hudson was made fun of for her weight and then she decided to do something about it. She lost over 80 pounds with Weight Watchers. I bet you nobody is fat shaming her now.
Jennifer has become an inspiration to many people who are trying to lose weight and improve their health.
Jennifer became a spokesperson for Weight Watchers and has been very open about her weight loss journey using the program. A lot of people find Weight Watchers easier to follow than other diets.
Tyra Banks was fat shamed by a tabloid
A tabloid posted of Tyra Banks on the beach and made critical remarks about her weight and figure.
Tara responded on her live talk show telling the audience that the tabloid could, “Kiss my fat ass!” Go, Tyra!
Apparently, many models are very insecure about their bodies after having their appearance scrutinized constantly. Ms. Banks seems pretty confident to me, and so she should be, what a beautiful woman.
Famous people who were called fat and then lost the weight
There are many famous people who have lost over 50 pounds. Here are a few of them:
1. Oprah Winfrey: Oprah has famously struggled with her weight for many years. She has tried many different diets and weight loss programs, but she has had the most success with Weight Watchers. She has lost over 50 pounds on the program. I believe after her weight loss she decided to buy Weight Watchers!
2. Adele: Adele lost over 100 pounds through a combination of diet and exercise. She has been very private about her weight loss journey, but she has been open about her commitment to living a healthier lifestyle. She surprised her fans with a dramatic weight loss in 2019 and many people found her new look unrecognizable.
3. Jonah Hill: Jonah Hill has been bullied by the tabloids for his weight and he lost over 50 pounds through diet and exercise. He has been very open about his struggles with his weight and has said that he wanted to lose weight, one of his preferred methods of exercise is surfing.
4. Drew Carey: Drew Carey lost over 80 pounds through a combination of diet, walking and running. He has said that he wanted to lose weight in order to improve his health, and to drastically reduce his risk of developing diabetes. He now works out six days a week.
It’s important to find a weight loss method that works for you and that you can stick to long-term in order to achieve sustainable weight loss and improve your overall health.
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media may earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with being called fat by others and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.
Better Help is a great resource where you can talk to a counselor from the comfort of your own home.
Taking care of your own needs isn’t selfish, and you will feel better in the long run.