Urban dictionary says, “You’re an idiot” actually means “I can’t find a good argument to counter yours, so I’ll just insult you instead”. Often when people don’t share the same view point they turn around and say that the other person is an idiot.
When someone calls you an idiot, the person saying this to you is trying to piss you off and get a response out of you with their words.
You can remain calm, smile and deliver a zinger of a comeback to the idiot!
6 Best comebacks when someone calls you an idiot
1. Have you hugged an idiot today? Me neither, come here!
2. Hey, do you want to know how to keep an idiot waiting….I’ll tell you tomorrow.
3. Of course, I talk like an idiot. How else would you understand me?
4. I’m sorry what language are you speaking? It sounds like bullshit.
5. Who do you think you are? Einstein?
6. You’re the reason nobody likes you.
Definition of an idiot
The term “idiot” is not a nice word to say to anyone. This term is usually used to refer to a person considered foolish, stupid, or slow.
Everybody has their own unique skills and knowledge base. Some people are gifted in art, some in technology, and others in other fields as well. It’s important to understand that people are different and they have different strengths and weaknesses. Intelligence is not the sole measurement of a person’s worth. So, there’s no reason to belittle others’ intelligence and capacity.
Calling someone an idiot is offensive and insulting. The person can lose their confidence and can question their personal self worth. Referring to someone as an idiot can be okay if done in a consensual loving or joking manner but never with an intent to insult.
Stop equating a person’s intelligence with their worth. Treat everyone with respect and kindness no matter what their IQ levels are.
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Our FREE Starter Guide will show you the 3 simple steps you can take right now to stand up for yourself so that you can feel confident. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
How to deal with being called an idiot
Being called an idiot is painful and very offensive especially if you know you are trying your best. It’s even worse if the tone is really inappropriate and hurtful. It can be hard to play cool during these times but it’s important to keep yourself together in dealing with the situation. Here are some ways to deal with being called an idiot.
1. Stay calm
Do not react aggressively to these accusations. Acting while angry can do you more harm than good because you are most likely to act irrationally. Go to a silent place and take a deep breath. Let your emotions settle down before responding.
2. Seek feedback if people call you an idiot
If you want to know more about how they perceive you, ask for help. Ask them why they called you an idiot. Their feedback may help you understand where they’re coming from and how you can help yourself.
3. Try again
If you were called an idiot for doing something wrong, you can always try again. After trying and trying again, it’s only natural that you would get better at it.
4. Be respectful
If you have been called an idiot because you made someone feel uncomfortable, apologize. Respect their feelings and acknowledge your mistakes if you have committed any.
5. Ignore it
Sometimes, people just like being mean and saying hurtful stuff. In these cases, it’s better to ignore them.
While being called an idiot can be hurtful, remember that there’s always room for improvement. You don’t need other people’s negative comments to be better but it can also be a good wake-up call.
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media may earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with being called idiot by others and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.
Better Help is a great resource where you can talk to a counselor from the comfort of your own home.
Taking care of your own needs isn’t selfish, and you will feel better in the long run.
More weight comebacks you might like
Famous people who have been called idiots
Although celebrities are expected to be “perfect” in their own ways, there are still stars labeled as an idiot. Here are some of them.
- Donald Trump: Despite being a presidential candidate, the former U.S. President has been called an idiot a lot of times. He has made various controversial policies and statements which people assume is due to his lack of knowledge.
- Paris Hilton: Aside from being perceived as talentless, people also called the socialite an idiot.
- Justin Bieber: The famous singer-songwriter has also been labeled an idiot. This is because of his behaviour that at the time, displayed a lack of maturity.
- Lindsay Lohan: The actress and singer has also been called an idiot due to a lot happening in her life. She has been labeled talentless and was also known for her legal troubles.
- Britney Spears: This icon was called an idiot because of how she handled her struggles and controversies.
Before talking, think about the words that you’re gonna say first. It’s important to be careful with the words we use. Do not use inappropriate words like “idiot.” This way, you avoid hurting other people and straining relationships.