Urban Dictionary defines annoying as, “Causing irritation or annoyance. To disturb and irritate.”
There are many traits the general population finds annoying like excessive talking, invading somebody’s personal space, whining and people who are tiring to deal with.
Then there are things that each individual person finds annoying that are more esoteric. Maybe your mean Aunt Bertha doesn’t like Dr. Phil’s colloquial Texas sayings? There are things that are not worth worrying about or changing your behaviour for.
Next time someone is overreacting and being petty by calling you annoying, go ahead and annoy them with one of our clever comebacks.
9 Best comebacks when you are called annoying
1. I hear there’s a new app called sense of humour. Download it!
2. Are you agitated and confused? My work here is done!
3. I’m well aware that I am not everyone’s cup of tea. I’d rather be a shot of tequila anyway!
4. Well, they say marriage is finding that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.
5. I’m not trying to be annoying. It just comes to me naturally.
6. Dear, not all men / women are annoying. Some are dead.
7. Is there a way to block you in real life?
8. I really appreciate the time you took today to remind me why I don’t like you.
9. People like me, find people like me incredibly annoying.
Definition of an annoying person
We’ve all had our share of meeting annoying people! Generally, a person is annoying when they cause irritation, frustration, or discomfort to others. They can induce these feelings through words, behaviour, or certain personality traits.
These people may do annoying things like interrupting conversations and unnecessarily talking too much. Sometimes, it’s about the mood they bring to the conversation, like ruining the atmosphere by being overly critical or negative. They can be invasive and have personality traits that grate on others, like being arrogant, rude, or insensitive.
The feelings of annoyance are subjective. What you find annoying may be different for others. Whatever it is, it’s essential to be firm and clear about your boundaries to avoid people from overstepping.
How to deal with being called annoying
Being called annoying can hurt but hang in there as there are ways to deal with it in a healthy way:
- Listen to the feedback: While it might hurt your pride and make you cringe, it’s healthy to try listening to people who have called you annoying. Chances are, they will be brutally honest, and it’s a good thing. This way, you will understand why someone finds you annoying. Be open to criticism, as it can help with your journey to self-improvement.
- Communicate respectfully: Respect begets respect; always be respectful in confrontations. If someone calls you annoying, the impulsive thing people try to do is deny it, get angry, and retaliate. Break that toxic cycle and try to ask why they find you annoying. By communicating, you give them a chance to explain and save the relationship.
- Work on self-improvement: Now that you’ve found your improvement points, you can work on changing your problematic behaviours. This can involve active listening and increasing your mindfulness of other people. Working on your communication skills could also help a lot.
- Focus on your positive qualities: It’s understandable to feel hurt when people call you annoying but this does not take away from your positive qualities! In your road to self-improvement, do not think of yourself as all-bad. Make room for growth by also acknowledging your many good qualities.
Seek support: If you feel like being called annoying has taken a toll on you and is impacting you negatively, please visit a professional. They are trained to help you power through these negativities slowly and surely. It would also be helpful for you to talk to them about coping strategies that are best for your situation.
More comebacks you might like
- What to say when someone complains that their life is so hard
- Comebacks when someone says I don’t like you
- Best ever comebacks to insults
Famous people who have been called annoying
The documented lives of celebrities offer many sources for them to be called annoying by people all over the world. Several famous people have been called annoying, here are some:
- Justin Bieber: This iconic pop star has been called annoying many times. Some of his annoying behaviors include egging his neighbor’s house and frequent altercations with paparazzi.
- Kanye West: Kanye has been famous for his outbursts and controversial opinions. These incidents are all that the public needs to conclude that he is annoying.
- Gwyneth Paltrow: For those who subscribe and enjoy lifestyle content, Paltrow should be familiar. A lot of people called her annoying because of her elitist attitude and controversial wellness advice.
- Lena Dunham: Dunham is an extroverted writer and actress who has been called annoying for her outspoken personality and controversial statements.
- Shia LaBeouf: Just like the others, LaBeouf has built quite a name online and has been called annoying many times because of his erratic behavior and public outbursts.
Again, annoying traits are subjective. Even if someone has been called annoying like these celebrities, remember to treat people with respect and kindness no matter what.
The role of counselling and self-care
I Should Have Said Media may earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with being called annoying by others and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.
Better Help is a great resource where you can talk to a counselor from the comfort of your own home.
Taking care of your own needs isn’t selfish, and you will feel better in the long run.