In this day and age, being a nerd is not such a bad thing. After all, the nerds of today are rich, very, very rich. Look at Mark Zuckerberg, Sergey Brin, and Larry Page. Even Urban Dictionary defines a nerd as, “The person you will one day call boss.”
Being called a nerd used to be a derogatory term, but nerds are now the new rock stars of our society. Every kid who codes wants to be the next Mark Zuckerberg, Larry Page, or Sergey Brin.
There is nothing wrong with having the highest IQ within your crew and having your act together in life. The new cool nerds are the full package deal—smart, with great style, confidence from being a smarty pants—and they’re socially accepted.
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Our FREE Starter Guide will show you the 3 simple steps you can take right now to stand up for yourself so that you can feel confident. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
Nerds are known to be obsessive about their area of interest and will happily talk your ear off about their favourite subject matter whether that is the game Terraria or marine biology. They take pride in their expertise, and they continue to learn obsessively about their subject matter even if others think they’re geeky.
If someone calls you a nerd, smile and remember it is not at all a bad thing. Use one of our fun comebacks.
11 Best comebacks when you’re called a nerd
1. Nerd: We prefer the term intellectual badass.
2. Do not talk when your mouth is full of lies.
3. I’m not a nerd. I am just smarter than you.
4. Nerd: An individual persecuted for their superior skills or intellect, most often by people who fear and envy them.
5. Be nice to nerds because you’ll probably end up working for one.
6. Nerds are ruling the world now. Heard of Musk, Gates and Bezos?
7. I would rather be a nerd than a dumbass any day.
8. I’m sorry that my superior intelligence makes you feel dumb and inadequate.
9. Nerds are winning at the game of life.
10. Thanks for the compliment.
11. Yep, I’m damn proud to be a nerd.
Definition of a nerd
A “nerd” is someone who knows a lot about a certain subject or niche area and they may be obsessive about the topic. Nerds can have a unique or unusual way of looking at life. People sometimes think of them as shy or awkward in social situations, and they may be very interested in intelligent activities or hobbies that are not usually considered common.
How to deal with being called a nerd
Nerds are usually judged based on the stuff they’re into. And it’s pretty annoying when people judge you. So, here’s the deal on how to handle it when people call you a nerd:
1. Don’t be afraid to follow your interests: There’s nothing wrong with being passionate about something. even if it’s not usually thought of as a popular thing. Enjoy your own hobbies and interests, and don’t let what other people say about them change how you feel about them.
2. Help people understand: If you hear someone using the word “nerd” in an insulting manner, you should try to explain what it means. Tell them what’s good about being interested in and knowledgeable about a certain subject. No one can teach them better than someone who has been in those shoes.
3. Be with people who are open-minded like you: Put yourself around people who share your hobbies and goals.
4. Don’t let it bother you: It doesn’t say anything about who you are or how important you are. So, if someone calls you a nerd, try not to take it too badly. Instead, focus on the good things about yourself and your life.
5. Keep your confidence up: It’s important to keep your confidence up when dealing with mean words or stereotypes. Have confidence in who you are and the things that make you happy, and don’t let what other people say get you down.
More comebacks you might like
Jennifer Garner felt like a nerd in high school
Jennifer Garner now has millions of fans but she claims when she was young she was pretty nerdy and never part of the in crowd.
I was a real nerd. I wasn’t the popular one, I was one of those girls on the edge of the group. I never wore the right clothes and I had a kind of natural geekiness. I was in the school band and I think that has a bit of a stigma at the age of 13. If you’d asked me what I wanted to be, I would have said something like a librarian.” – Jennifer Garner
Famous people who have been called nerds
A lot of famous people have been called “nerds,” which is usually a compliment because it shows how smart and intelligent they are in a certain subject. Some examples are as follows:
1. Bill Gates: The man who helped start Microsoft is frequently referred to as a “nerd”. This is because of his intense interest in new technologies and his profound understanding of computer programming.
2. Elon Musk: The main man of SpaceX and Tesla, is known for his enthusiasm for technology and engineering. Elon is frequently described to as a “tech nerd” or a “space nerd.”
3. Mark Zuckerberg: People often call the cofounder of Facebook a “nerd” because he is very interested in computer programming and it has made him a billionaire! He also does very well in the area of information technology.
4. Neil deGrasse Tyson: The scientist is known for his deep knowledge of astronomy. He is also a science communicator who has a passion for getting scientific information out to the public.
5. Stephen Hawking: He was best known for his groundbreaking work in the area of theoretical physics. He was often called a “nerd” because of how smart he was in school and how much he liked science.
Just remember, being called a “nerd” isn’t a bad thing. It’s actually a compliment that recognizes someone’s knowledge and passion for a specific subject.
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media may earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with being called a nerd by others and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.
Better Help is a great resource where you can talk to a counselor from the comfort of your own home.
Taking care of your own needs isn’t selfish, and you will feel better in the long run.