Manipulators achieve their goals by persuading others to do what they want by indirectly influencing someone else’s behavior or actions to suit their agenda. At first, they may appear to have your best interests at heart, but really it’s all about them.
They know how to find your weaknesses, and once discovered they will continue to use your weaknesses against you. When they have figured out how to get you to do what they want, they will keep exploiting you until you put a stop to it.
A manipulative high school girl was constantly creating drama with friends. Sonja always wanted to be the centre of attention. She badmouthed other girls in the group behind their backs and turned friends against each other. One day when Sonja wasn’t around, the group started comparing stories and shared horrible things that she had said about every single one of them. They realized she had played and manipulated every single member of the group.
A manipulative person can take a real toll on your life. Here are a few snappy comebacks you can say to let the manipulator know you are on to them.
Top ten comebacks for manipulative people
- If I was meant to be controlled I’d come with a remote.
- Your actions clearly show you have your best interests at heart, not mine.
- Using manipulative behaviour to get your own way, will only force me to make choices you are not going to like.
- You. Cut out that egocentric manipulative bullshit now.
- Sorry, my independence rocked your needy world. Later baby.
- Wait, come back. You forgot your bullshit.
- If you put in as much effort into being a good person as you do pretending to be a good person, you could actually be a good person.
- Arguing with a manipulator is like getting arrested, everything you say or do can be used against you.
- Do you need some sun because your behaviour is pretty shady.
- Mean people don’t bother me one bit. Mean people who disguise themselves as nice people bother me a whole lot.
Be prepared for a manipulative person
If you have to deal with a manipulative person who gives you a hard time, our book Snappy Comebacks any Situation can help you out. Be prepared for difficult people with clever responses on your phone or device any time or anywhere.
More top ten comeback lists you might like
- Top ten comebacks for controlling people
- Top ten comebacks for someone with double standards
- More comebacks you might like