What to say if you are called a Karen
Being called a Karen can be hurtful and derogatory, but it’s important to remember that it’s not a reflection of your true character.
Urban dictionary describes a Karen as:
A Karen, is a pejorative term used for any 29 – 55 year old middle to upper-middle class white woman. A Karen will go out of her way to impose their belief structures on any unwitting or unsuspecting individual, once broken off from their pack and cornered a Karen will publicly berate the victim, possibly involving an authority figure if the victim is of minority descent.
How to respond if you are being called a Karen
- Stay calm and composed: Responding with anger or aggression will only escalate the situation. Take a deep breath and remain calm.
- Ask for clarification: If you don’t understand why you’re being called a Karen, calmly ask the person to explain why they’re using that term.
- Express your feelings: Let the person know how their words are making you feel. Use “I” statements to express your emotions without attacking them. For example, “I feel hurt when you call me a Karen because it feels like you’re attacking my character.”
- Acknowledge any mistakes you may have made: If the person is calling you a Karen because of something you did, acknowledge your mistake and apologize if necessary.
- Redirect the conversation: If the person is being unreasonable or refuses to listen, it may be best to disengage from the conversation and move on.
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Our FREE Starter Guide will show you the 3 simple steps you can take right now to stand up for yourself so that you can feel confident. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
17 clever things to say if you are being called a Karen
I have chosen these things to say because you want to respond in a calm and respectful manner because you never know if you are being filmed and someone is going to share it in the news or social media. You don’t want to have your photo on the front page of the news!
- Do you always call people with a different point of view names?
- Putting someone down with name calling says more about you than me.
- You seem to be having a very bad day. I hope it gets better soon.
- 1. Why do you feel that was necessary, and do you really expect me to answer?
- Do you call everyone who disagrees with you a Karen?
- This conversation is now over.
- Wow, that was hurtful.
- Did you mean to be unkind?
- I’m whatever you want me to be, dear.
- 5. Did you mean to be rude? If so, you’re doing an excellent job.
- 6. If I agreed with you then we’d both be wrong.
- I don’t expect you to agree with everything I say. All I ask is that you treat me as respectfully as I treat you.
- Different people have different opinions and it is OK to respect them all.
- Just because someone has a different opinion from you doesn’t mean you have to scream at them and tell them they’re wrong.
- Wow, what a performance! The Academy award goes to ….
- Putting someone down with a name reveals your own low self esteem.
- Your misguided opinion is false but cute.
Calm & polite theater goers are called Karens by obnoxious millennials
A group of millennial theater goers showed up ten minutes late for a musical and they disrupted the show going to their seats
Once they were seated, they started using their phones in the dark theater and chatting amongst themselves. Finally, a bunch of theater goers around them told them to “shush. The noisy millennials got really angry and started yelling, “You’re just a bunch of Karen’s.”
Anyone that didn’t condone their bad behavior they criticized and called a Karen.
Eventually, these millennials had to be escorted out of the theater because of their bad behavior.
But it’s just an example of, you know, calling anyone that doesn’t agree with you, or accepts your trashy behaviour.
Nowadays any middle aged white woman can be called a Karen. If you ask to speak to the manager, people will call you Karen. Even if you have a valid complaint, you run the risk of being called entitled, demanding and rude.
More posts you might like:
- What to say if someone calls you a bitch
- What to say to someone with bad intent who tries to push your buttons
- More comebacks you might like