Have you ever had a friend or a boyfriend keep bringing up your past or mistakes that you made years ago? Most of us have embarrassing moments or chapters of our lives that we’re not particularly proud of. Maybe it is that time you danced on a table in a nightclub or made a complete fool of yourself in high school.
The last thing we need is someone publicly broadcasting or going on about our worst possible moments. After all, you are not your past, everyone is constantly changing and evolving as a person. You are probably not the same person you were five years ago.
You can’t help but wonder what is someone’s motivation for continually mentioning your past? Sometimes it’s best to ignore what someone said and other times people can be so continually disrespectful you have to call the person out on their behaviour.
Here are some things you can have ready on the tip of your tongue, next time they bring up negative or embarrassing stories about you from long ago.
What to say to someone who keeps bringing up your past
- I don’t look back; I’m not going that way.
- If you judge me by my past don’t be surprised when you become part of it.
- You’re like a plunger, you keep bringing up old shit.
- You can’t start the next chapter of your life if you keep rereading the last one.
- The past is a place of reference, not a residence.
- I am not the same person I was a month ago, a day ago or a year ago. Life is always changing.
- I don’t regret my past, I just regret the time I wasted with the wrong people.
- Sometimes people with the worst pasts end up creating the best futures.
- It doesn’t matter who I used to be. All that matters is who I have become.
- If you’re looking for the old me check the morgue.
More clever comebacks you might like
- AreFunny answers when someon asks are you ignoring me?
- What to say when someone says I’m mad at you!
- Check out our top ten lists
Via A Z Quotes