Have you ever been around someone who keeps putting you and others down and making snide comments? The critic sees fault everywhere they look, yet they fail to see their own limitations. A truly happy, confident person doesn’t feel the need to make everyone around them feel like crap. The problem isn’t with you. It’s with the toxic person who tries to act superior but truly feels inferior underneath it all.
I had a job once working for a crazy person She would boost one person up telling them that they were wonderful, and she would pick another person to simultaneously terrorize. Janice, my mean-spirited boss, would freak out about minor things and badmouth other staff members, all while wasting tons of company money.
One outstanding staff member went way beyond the call of duty and did a great job for her. When she left the company, Janice gave her the worst reference I have ever heard, full of personal insults and put-downs.
Well, there is justice in this world because Janice was fired, and her sorry ass was removed from the company. They finally figured out why there was so much staff turnover when the CEO brought in a friend to work for him and he shared what had been going on. Being condescending and putting others down didn’t end well for Janice. Karma turned around and kicked her in the ass.
If you get tired of someone putting you down and bringing you down, here are some clever comebacks to let them know they need to back off.
Great comebacks when someone puts you down
- I don’t understand people who hate their lives enough to criticize everyone around…but not enough to fix their own.
- You only feel like extinguishing my fire because you are unable to light a match and start your own.
- Some people will always have something to say and nothing to contribute.
- Why don’t you try and fix yourself instead of trying to break me?
- Just because you’ve chosen a label for me doesn’t mean I’ve chosen to wear it.
- You know, all the makeup and the clothes can’t change what an ugly person you really are!
- Happy, secure people have no need to put others down.
- Know what’s funny? Not you, so shut up!
- Please cancel my subscription; I have had enough of your issues.
- Bitch, please you’ve got more issues than Vogue.
Be prepared for a difficult person
If you have to deal with a difficult person who gives you a hard time, our bundle Snappy Comebacks any Situation can help you out. Be prepared for challenging people with clever responses on your phone or device any time or anywhere.
More comebacks you might like
- Top ten comebacks for people who talk behind your back
- Top ten comebacks for narcissists
- Read more comebacks to insults