It can be a little shocking when someone you don’t know very well divulges too much personal information. I don’t know about you, but I am not interested in hearing about the gritty details of someone’s divorce or every problem their kid is having.
Some folks have their Facebook status confused with their diary, broadcasting their most personal thoughts. Not every thought or situation needs to be shared.
Often, the more you know about some folks the less you like them. When they share every political thought online, rant on about their personal views you see that they may not be who you thought they were.
A mom blogger was recently in the news because her daughter found out she had been sharing very personal stories about her since she was a baby on her mom blog. The daughter asked her mother respect her privacy, and to stop posting personal things about her online. The mom refused to respect her daughter’s wishes, probably because she had too much to gain from the situation and generated most of her income from her blog.
When someone overshares you are under no obligation to reciprocate and share anything personal about yourself in return. Acknowledge the person’s feelings, with kindness if you can, and then shift the conversation in another direction.
Here are a few things you can say to someone who overshares, to let the person know you are not interested in hearing the intricate details of their life.
- Don’t share your problems with others. 20 % don’t care and 80% of the people are glad you have them.
- Everything doesn’t need to be talked about.
- The less you reveal the more people can wonder.
- Thanks for over sharing the disgusting details of your medical procedures on Facebook
- I’m sorry the concept of overshare eludes you!
- OK, I didn’t need to know that.
- Too much information! Some personal thoughts are best left unsaid.
- Be careful who you share your information with. Only a few really care and the rest only listen because they want something to gossip about.
- Staying low key will solve half your problems.
- Life is much easier when you’re not complaining, worrying or stressing about drama.
More top ten comeback lists you might like
- Top ten comebacks for nosy people
- Top ten comebacks for people who interfere in your life
- More comebacks you might like