Dealing with someone who doesn’t have a sense of humour is no laughing matter. People who lack a sense of humour, or the ability to laugh at themselves, can be draining and suck the fun out of any situation.
Sure, not everyone is going to think you are funny and appreciate your sense humour but it is not really about you. It is about being able to let your hair down and have a good time instead of being the resident party pooper.
A sense of humour can be regional, for example, people who live in Australia have a different sense of humour than people in America. The Brits are world famous for their witty sarcasm, and the Irish are known for their funny stories and the Aussie’s for a raunchier approach.
You can tell how smart people are by what they laugh at. – Tina Fey
If you want to tell someone to lighten up, here are a few things you can say to get your point across
What to say when someone doesn’t have a sense of humour
- You know what’s funny? Lots of stuff, so lighten up.
- Some people just lack the ability to laugh at themselves.That’s where I come in.
- Sorry you interpreted my brilliant joke as horribly offensive.
- You find it offensive. That’s funny. That’s why I am’ happier than you.
- Keep calm and lighten up.
- I hear there’s a new app called a sense of humor. Maybe you should download it?
- Don’t take life so seriously, it’s not like you are going to get out alive.
- Sorry, I offended your humorlessness cultural sensitivity.
- It’s nice when someone can reply to your sarcasm with sarcasm, instead of getting offended.
- If I throw a lamp at you, will you lighten up?
More top ten comeback lists you might like
- Top ten comebacks for people who bother you
- Top ten comebacks for someone who is easily offended
- More comebacks you might like
Ready to start standing up for yourself, but don’t know where to start?
Ever feel like you don’t know what to say to the difficult people in your life? Our starter guide will show you how in 3 simple steps. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!