Dealing with someone who doesn’t have a sense of humour is no laughing matter. People who lack a sense of humour, or the ability to laugh at themselves, can be draining and suck the fun out of any situation.
Sure, not everyone is going to think you are funny and appreciate your sense humour but it is not really about you. It is about being able to let your hair down and have a good time instead of being the resident party pooper.
A sense of humour can be regional, for example, people who live in Australia have a different sense of humour than people in America. The Brits are world famous for their witty sarcasm, and the Irish are known for their funny stories and the Aussie’s for a raunchier approach.
You can tell how smart people are by what they laugh at. – Tina Fey
If you want to tell someone to lighten up, here are a few things you can say to get your point across
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Our FREE Starter Guide will show you the 3 simple steps you can take right now to stand up for yourself so that you can feel confident. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
What to say when someone doesn’t have a sense of humour
1. You know what’s funny? Lots of stuff, so lighten up.
2. Some people just lack the ability to laugh at themselves.That’s where I come in.
3. Sorry you interpreted my brilliant joke as horribly offensive.
4. You find it offensive. That’s funny. That’s why I am’ happier than you.
5. Keep calm and lighten up.
6. I hear there’s a new app called a sense of humor. Maybe you should download it?
7. Don’t take life so seriously, it’s not like you are going to get out alive.
8. Sorry, I offended your humorlessness cultural sensitivity.
9. If I throw a lamp at you, will you lighten up?
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media will earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with someone who has no sense of humour and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.
Better Help is a great resource where you can talk to a counselor from the comfort of your own home.
Taking care of your own needs isn’t selfish, and you will feel better in the long run.
More top ten comeback lists you might like
- Top ten comebacks for people who bother you
- Top ten comebacks for someone who is easily offended
- More comebacks you might like