There is nothing worse than being around a condescending person who thinks they are superior to those around them.
Condescending people lack the awareness that they alienate people when they talk down to others and assume people are less intelligent than they are. They offer up unwanted advice and think that they can dictate to others how to something should be done.
A friend of mine had just come back from a trip to Indonesia; he shared with a girl at work how he felt tired and that he had crossed the International Dateline while traveling. His coworker condescendingly replied that he shouldn’t be tired and the international Dateline was only a 12 hour time difference, even though she had never traveled outside of North America and had no idea what she was talking about. Her superiority came across loud and clear.
If you’ve had enough of someone talking down to you, try a few of our snappy comebacks below and let them know that their behaviour is not OK. If you get really lucky, maybe they will move on and bother somebody else.
What to say to a condescending person
- Being condescending is an unintelligent way to make yourself feel superior.
- Your pompous attitude and condescending comments have convinced me that you are smart and very important. Said no one ever.
- Just cause you look down on everyone doesn’t mean they are looking up to you.
- Healthy, happy people don’t go around putting people down using negative criticisms and insults.
- You just show the world how truly insecure and unhappy you are in your own life.
- Yes, your condescending judgemental comment has completely convinced me to do what you want. Said no one ever!
- I love the new condescending head tilt .Are you trying out a new passive aggressive trick?
- Being smug and condescending doesn’t make you important. It makes you a jerk.
- I love when crazy people think they’ve had the last word and in reality, all you did was to let them continue to show off their pompous arrogance. You can’t fix stupid!
- Hold still while I strangle that condescending demon out of your throat.
More comebacks you might like
- Top ten comebacks for people with double standards
- Top ten comebacks for narcissists
- Read more comebacks to insults
Get snappy comebacks delivered to your inbox
* indicates required