Not all friendships are meant to last forever, at some point in your life, you may need to move on from a friend for various reasons.
When you have mutual friends or acquaintances they will ask what happened and why aren’t you friends with so and so anymore. If you go around badmouthing your old friend, you are the one who will look a jerk no matter what your friend did. Remember, the bad-mouther always looks like the bad guy.
The best way to end a friendship is distance yourself from the person with dignity. When they ask you to get together say you’re busy and cut back on contact. You want to be able to run into the person on the street and not feel awkward or uncomfortable, especially if you have mutual friends.
I always look at things from an energy point of view. I don’t want to expend a lot of energy tying up my thinking on a relationship that isn’t important to me. If things end badly, I will spend time worrying about it and stressing out. I have only so much time on the planet and I don’t want to give my attention to things that aren’t important to me.
Next time someone asks why you are no longer friends, here are a few good answers that let people know you have your reasons, but won’t give away too many details.
Ten things you can say when someone asks why you need a friendship
- Some people should come with warning labels.
- Life is too short for fake friends and crappy wine.
- Cutting people out of my life does not mean I hate them, it just means I respect me.
- I usually give someone more chances than they deserve but once I’m done I’m done.
- When people show you who they are, believe them the first time.
- Every time you subtract a negative from your life you make room for more positive.
- You never know the quality of someone’s personality until the road gets rocky.
- Sometimes when things aren’t adding up in your life you need to start subtracting.
- If I cut someone off its because they handed me the scissors
- You become like the five people you spend the most time with. I need to choose wisely.