If you have been single for a while, no doubt you will start getting questions like, “Why aren’t you married yet?” The question of why you are still single may come from your well-meaning Aunt Betty or a smug old school mate who has gone on to marry a successful guy, and is now gloating about it.
There are some great things about being single and not settling for the first guy who comes along, like hanging out with friends and doing whatever you want to do, when you want to do it.
Here are a few clever comebacks you can use next time someone asks why you’re still not married.
Of course, it will depend on who’s doing the asking, but go ahead, tell us what you think is the best answer to this nosy question.
21 Best comebacks when people ask why you are still single
1. Well, I’d rather be happily single than unhappily married!
2. I’m just lucky I guess!
3. I’m waiting for your husband to get divorced!
4. Marriage can be a fine institution, but I’m not ready for an institution.
5. My fiancee is awaiting his/her parole.
6. Because you’re already taken.
7. Stop asking why I’m still single and ask why you’re still married!
8. Can you give me three good reasons why I should get married?
9. Haven’t met a woman with low enough standards.
10. I really don’t see any reason to rush through life… just because people think I should be getting married.
11. You know that not everyone chooses to be miserable.
12. Because you haven’t asked yet.
13. Marriage is not a word. It’s a sentence.
14. Well, I don’t want there to be riots in the streets when all the women in the world find out I’m unavailable.
15. Is there are reason I should be?
16. I haven’t met someone who shares my values and life aspirations.
17. Right now I’m taking the scenic route to love, enjoying the journey.
18. I’m still searching for a worthy partner in crime.
19. I am really enjoying the single life right now.
20. Just so you know, I’m single by choice, not by chance.
21 Well, I’m waiting for someone who can match my level of weirdness. Hasn’t happened yet!
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Our FREE Starter Guide will show you the 3 simple steps you can take right now to stand up for yourself so that you can feel confident. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
Why do people ask if you are single?
People may ask if you are single out of personal curiosity, or as a way know where you stand socially. They may be interested in you romantically or they may just want to know more about your life and current situation.
They could be asking because they want to fix you up with one of their good looking relatives!
How to deal with people asking you why you are still single
When people ask why you are still single, it can be an uncomfortable depending on what is going on in your life. Here are some ways to handle it:
1. Give a Light-Hearted response: You can respond with humor to deflect the question and take the person by surprise. Use one of clever replies to answer the question.
2. Assert some personal boundaries: You have the right to say that your relationship is a personal matter that you prefer not to discuss with others.
3. Redirect the conversation: Steer the conversation away for you and focus on something about their life.
4. Share your personal perspective: If you feel comfortable, let the person know that your generation may have different views on marriage.
5. Express confidence: Let the nosey person know that you are happy with your current status and convey that you are not defined by your relationship status.
6. Thank the person: You could thank the person for their interest. After all, they were kind enough to express an interest in you.
Remember that it’s okay to set boundaries and respond in a way that feels right for you.
More snappy comebacks you might like
- When are you going to find a boyfriend?
- You’re still single, I guess you must be pretty picky?
- More savage comebacks
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media will earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with a person who asks why are you still single and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.
Better Help is a great resource where you can talk to a counselor from the comfort of your own home.
Taking care of your own needs isn’t selfish, and you will feel better in the long run.