Some people are super flirty and charming by nature. They have breezy personalities and engage in a fun way with everyone they meet. Sometimes their friendly ways are interpreted by someone as being interested in them.
The difference between flirting with someone and general back and forth banter is the attraction level. Even if you are physically attracted to someone, it doesn’t necessarily mean you are interested in dating them. After all, personality is important, too.
The one thing that can be detrimental about being a flirt is nobody wants to date a person who flirts with everyone. All of us want to feel special or chosen by the person we want to go out with. No one wants to be anyone’s second choice, so if you really like someone, give the person your full attention and stop flirting with everyone else.
When your friends are giving you a hard time because of your flirty ways, use one of our fun comebacks.
If you can think of a better flirting comeback, let us know.
11 Best comebacks when people call you a flirt
1. I’m not flirting. I’m just being extra nice to someone who is extra attractive.
2. It’s not my fault everything I say is smoother than the cream cheese on a bagel.
3. It’s called flirting when you are in a relationship but being friendly when you are single.
4. My version of flirting is to look at someone I find attractive several times and hope they are braver than I am.
5. I don’t need to flirt, I will seduce him with my awkwardness.
6. I am what I am. Feel free to flirt with me anytime.
7. Well, they say dating is a numbers game, can I get yours?
8. I’m single. Of course I flirt!
9. Look who’s talking!
10. Only on days that end in Y.
11. Cheers to being single.
Definition of a flirt
We all have a way to express our interest in someone and one of these methods is flirting. However, flirting is done more for amusement rather than serious commitment. People who flirt are usually doing it for fun and attention.
A flirt is someone who is suggestive that they are romantically or sexually attracted to another person. These suggestions are often done in a playful or teasing manner.
Flirting involves a wide selection of both verbal and nonverbal cues. A flirt can start with compliments and a bit of teasing. They can also be more intense and make eye contact, physical touch, and other suggestive gestures.
Different people engage in flirting for different reasons. Some of these reasons typically include expressing attraction, boosting one’s self-esteem, starting a conversation, or simply for fun.
Respect and consent are two key factors when flirting. Without these, it can cross the line into harassment and unwanted advances.
How to deal with being called a flirt
Being called a flirt is not a good thing. This label can hurt and damage your reputation. However, the best way to deal with it is through thinking and acting rationally. Here are some steps that can help you handle the situation:
1. Listen to their concerns
The first step to positive change is to listen to what they have to say about your behaviour. Where are their concerns coming from? Have you behaved in a
way that’s inappropriate and have made unwanted advances? When you start listening to them, you will know better about yourself and your actions.
2. Be honest if you have been a flirt
If you have hurt someone because of your flirting, it’s best to come clean and apologize. If you have done this intentionally, then all the more reasons to apologize. On the contrary, if you have been misunderstood, tell them about your honest intentions immediately.
3. Be respectful
Perhaps you have been called a flirt because of your friendly personality. In this case, if someone has approached you for it, hear them out and adjust accordingly. Sometimes people may feel uncomfortable with how you act around people. And so, it’s best to be sensitive about these things. Be respectful of people’s boundaries and avoid making anyone feel uncomfortable.
4. Ignore it
There are times when people call you a flirt just to ruin your reputation or annoy you. In these cases, you can choose from two responses: confront or ignore. If you choose to confront, do it in a direct and respectful manner still.
5. Set boundaries
Adjust your boundaries and be firm with them when interacting with people. It’s best to communicate and make sure that it’s consensual every time you try to flirt with someone.
Being called a flirt can have an effect on your mental and emotional health. Remember that you know yourself better than anyone. Sometimes, it’s healthy to ignore but sometimes it’s even healthier to confront and get things straight. Think carefully and be empathetic in the way you respond to these things.
More snarky comebacks you might like
- Funny answers to when are you going to find a boyfriend?
- Why did you and your last boyfriend break up?
- More great comebacks
Famous people who have been called flirts
Many famous celebrities have been called a flirt at some point in their careers. A lot of these accusations are because of their public image, behavior, or actions. Here are a few examples:
- Marilyn Monroe: Marilyn Monroe is one of the most iconic women of all time. She has been one of the most prominent sex symbols during her time and the most photographed woman. She was also known for her flirtatious behavior which she would have done effortlessly because of her strong sex appeal. She was one of the most controversial figures in Hollywood.
- Madonna: Another iconic woman who is famously known as the queen of pop. Madonna was called a flirt due to her provocative behaviour. People also called her a flirt because of her sexually charged performances.
- George Clooney: George Clooney was also famous for being handsome and charming. He was also labeled as a ladies’ man which earned him the description of being a flirt.
- Jennifer Aniston: This famous actress has also been called a flirt mainly because of her friendliness. She is outgoing which has been often misinterpreted by the media.
- Harry Styles: Harry Styles has also been called a flirt due to his playful and charismatic personality. His charisma and effortless flirting have won him many fans around the world.
Calling someone a flirt can be subjective. This term can be influenced by personal biases and perceptions. We don’t have the capability to tell for sure whether or not someone is flirting maliciously. All you have is an assumption based on the behaviours shown to you.
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media may earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with being called flirt by others and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.
Better Help is a great resource where you can talk to a counselor from the comfort of your own home.
Taking care of your own needs isn’t selfish, and you will feel better in the long run.