Some people think that they have been put on earth to give others unsolicited advice. They are unaware that unsolicited advice can come across as arrogant and annoying. When someone is constantly giving you unsolicited advice, feels as if you are being criticized.
When taking advice from somebody, you always want to hear from someone who is more successful than you are. It is funny how people who have bratty children offer parenting advice. It makes you feel like saying, “Maybe you should work on yourself first before giving advice to me.”
Freya had an amazing opportunity to take a job based in Dubai. She had dreamed of going overseas for a long time, and when a job came up in communications, she thought that it was time. She was going to try and make it happen.
When Freya told friends that she planned to move to the Middle East, they couldn’t see the amazing opportunity. Friends told her that she would be kidnapped, and if she married, she would never see her children again. Everyone shared their reason why it would be too dangerous to move to the Middle East, and they shared other small-minded opinions about a region of the world that they knew nothing about.
Freya did accept the job, and she moved to Dubai and had the experience of a lifetime. She worked with interesting people from all over the world and had a lifestyle she could have only dreamed of. It was a good thing she didn’t listen to the meddling advice from friends who had never been outside of the UK.
Here are a few snappy comebacks that will let the meddler know that you don’t want to hear what they have to say in the future.
What to say to someone who gives unsolicited advice
- Thank you kindly for the unsolicited advice. You obviously know so much more about my life that I do.
- Unsolicited advice is like somebody singing out of tune. Nobody wants to hear it.
- I don’t base my decisions on advice from people who don’t have to deal with the results.
- I didn’t realize you were an expert of my life and how I should live it! Continue well I take notes.
- Don’t judge a situation you’ve never been in.
- Thanks but I’m an expert in my life.
- Have more than you show and speak less than you know.
- I must have Alzheimer’s because I don’t recall asking for your opinion.
- I’m sorry I offended you by ignoring the unsolicited advice that you shoved down my throat.
- I’m sorry, I didn’t order a glass of your opinion.
Be prepared next time you have to deal with someone who keeps giving you unsolicited advice
If you have to deal with someone who gives you unsolicited advice and gives you a hard time, our bundle Snappy Comebacks any Situation can help you out. Be prepared for difficult people with clever responses on your phone or device any time or anywhere.
More comeback lists you might like
- Top ten comebacks for judgmental people
- Top ten comebacks for verbal bullies
- More comebacks to insults