One thing that drives me bonkers is when people tell you how to life your life. The person telling you what you should do and how you should do it may have your best interest at heart, but they can’t truly know what is right for you. Every single one of us is born with unique talents and traits. Your job is to find out what your gift is and share it with the world.
If your mean aunt Bertha criticizes your dreams, you need to stop sharing what you are up to with her immediately. When she nosily asks what you’re planning next, keep it light and share something trivial detail about your life, like what show you are watching on Netflix.
Often we have big life goals that we want to accomplish, and it can be shocking when people trying to talk us out of our dreams. Many folks can’t see things outside of the paradigm that they grew up with, if you were raised by a family of accountants, they may recommend that accounting is the best path for you to follow.
My husband told a coworker that he had just attended an Amazon selling conference in Las Vegas and met many 30-year-old millionaires. His coworker just could not believe that it was possible to make a living off Amazon, it was so outside of his idea of what was truly possible that it wasn’t even a reality that he could consider. When people tell you how to live your life they are really sharing their paradigm of the world is and what they believe is possible.
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Ever feel like you just don’t know how to speak up for yourself? Our Stand Up for Yourself the Easy Way Guide will show you how to do it in just 3 simple steps. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
Here are a few things you can say to shut the person up when they tell you how to live your life.
Top Ten Comebacks when someone tells you how to live your life
- If you have an opinion about my life please raise your hand, and put it over your mouth!
- I’d rather regret the things that I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done.
- I don’t let people make me feel bad or guilty for living my life the way I want to live it.
- It’s my life.I am living life the way I want to. If you have a problem with that, well I ‘m sorry but this is mylife not yours. I don’t tell you how to live your life.
- I can’t live my life for other people, I’ve got to do what’s right for me.
- Remember when I asked for your opinion? Yeah, me neither.
- I just live my life on my own terms. And you know what, I smile a lot!
- We only have 40,000 days on the planet, why would I spend that time doing what you want me to do?
- I know my life is a mess.. But I don’t need to you sort me out or put me in place. I just need you to support me as I get myself together.
- I don’t recall asking for your opinion.