When someone is putting you down in public and embarrassing you in front of others it is completely unacceptable. The bully’s intent is to make someone else feel inferior so they can feel powerful. Confident secure people who are happy with themselves don’t feel the need to belittle others.
You have a choice of who you spend time with, you don’t have to accept bad behaviour from rude and disrespectful people. Sure, some people have had tough lives it’s true, but you’re not a punching bag for someone who hasn’t dealt with their unresolved issues.
When someone puts you down, don’t blindly accept their criticism as the truth. Even when a boss or teacher criticizes you their judgment could be completely wrong. When Thomas Edison was in school a teacher told him that he wouldn’t be successful at school because he was “too stupid to learn anything.” When he started working, his first two bosses didn’t that think he was a productive worker and he was fired from his job. At first, he wasn’t a successful inventor, his 1001 attempt at figuring out the lightbulb was successful. Imagine if Thomas Edison had listened to all of that negative feedback, we could all still be sitting in the dark!
You have a right to verbally respond to the negative situation and let the person know that you don’t accept their framing. Let the person know that they need to back off using one of our comebacks below.
Put downs are such a big problem, I actually wrote two blog posts about this topic, this is this post contains the raunchier comebacks, if you are looking for a politer comebacks for put downs, check out this post.
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Our FREE Starter Guide will show you the 3 simple steps you can take right now to stand up for yourself so that you can feel confident. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
Top ten comebacks for put downs (Rude version)
- Those penis enlargement pills are working. You are twice the dick you were yesterday.
- I’d like to see your point of view but I can’t get my head that far up my ass.
- Oh, you think you know everything? Well here is something you don’t know, you’re annoying.
- If you have a problem with me, then cry me a river and drown yourself in it.
- You would be much more likeable if it wasn’t for that hole in your mouth that noise comes out of.
- I was going to give you a nasty look but I see that you already have one.
- I’d slap you but that would be animal abuse.
- In order for you to insult me I would have to value your opinion. Nice try though.
- If you think you’re so hot, why don’t you go f*ck yourself.
- I farted… that’s as close as you’re going to get to me giving a shit.
More top ten comeback lists you might like
- Top ten comebacks for put downs (polite version)
- Top ten comebacks for haters
- More comebacks you might like