Urban Dictionary describes a ginger as, “A human characterized by pale skin, freckles and bright red hair.” Gingers are often stereotyped as not having a soul, having terrible tempers and stealing sun screen.
Even Prince Harry complained that he was bullied for being ginger at school. Why is discrimination against people with red hair acceptable, there is no way it would be acceptable to make similar comments to overweight people.
Here are a few snappy comebacks that redheads can use to shut people up next time they make a rude comment.
15 Great comebacks if you are called a ginger
1. Coming from a person who has a face not even a mother could love.
2. Do not make me mad or I will ginger snap.
3. Do not make me get red headed on your ass.
4. Well, you are so …… but I am not complaining!
5. Wow, you’re really good at stating the obvious.
5. That’s… All you can think of?
6. From an NPC character, I’ll consider that a compliment!
6. Thanks for the update, Captain Obvious.
7. Ginger is just a lazy insult. Can’t you come up with something better than that?
8. You’re onion because you make people cry of your ugly taste.
9. Have you taken a look in the mirror lately? I wouldn’t be calling people names if I looked like you.
10. Yes, I’m a ginger, and no, I don’t have a soul so you’d better watch it.
11. Wow, aren’t. you captain obvious!
12. Yeah, I’m a ginger. So what.
13. Oh no… I didn’t know. How will I go on with my life?
14. You have a keen eye for the obvious.
15. Wow, I’ve never heard that before. Do you often bully children?
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Our FREE Starter Guide will show you the 3 simple steps you can take right now to stand up for yourself so that you can feel confident. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
Definition of a ginger
“Ginger” is a slang word for someone with red or reddish hair. Nothing is insulting about the word itself, but it can be used in a mean or offensive way. So remember that it’s important to be polite and considerate when talking about other people’s bodies and preferences.
MORE COMEBACKS YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Comebacks when you are called ugly
- Comebacks when people call you fat
- What to say when someone calls you a drama queen
How to deal with being called a ginger
Being teased or called a “ginger” because of your red hair can be unpleasant but you should deal with these things with strength and confidence. If people call you a “ginger” or make fun of your red hair, here are some things you can do:
1. Keep Your Cool: It’s not always easy but try your best to stay calm and not let it get under your skin.
2. Look at the situation: Think about whether what was said was a joke or an insult. Laugh at a joke. If it’s not, reprimand them coolly.
3. Protect yourself: If someone calls you a “ginger” in a bad way, you need to stand up for yourself. Be strict but nice.
4. Educate Others: Tell other people that using the word “ginger” in a bad way can be harmful. Make sure to express what you think and explain why it’s offensive.
5. Move on: After the matter is settled, focus on the positive. Avoid letting the comment define you.
Don’t forget to set boundaries and speak up when comments about your looks bother you. Everyone, no matter how they look, should be treated with respect and kindness. Accept your red hair and other unique traits; don’t let other people’s criticism define you.
5 Famous people who have been teased and called a ginger
Many celebrities with red hair have been teased or nicknamed “ginger” at some point. Some have accepted their hair color, but others have faced criticism. Notable figures who have shared their experiences include:
1. Prince Harry: The Duke of Sussex has been the target of media and public criticism as a British royal. He’s always been criticized for his red hair.
2. Julianne Moore: The award-winning actress has embraced her brilliant red hair as part of her identity even with all the criticisms.
3. Ed Sheeran: The Grammy-winning singer-songwriter has been mocked about his red hair, but he’s open about accepting it and even making music about it.
4. Conan O’Brien: The comedy and talk show host often jokes about his red hair and its challenges throughout his career.
5. Carrot Top: The comedian has made a career out of his often-taunted wild red hair and prop comedy.
Many red-haired celebrities have handled teasing with humor and confidence and become strong advocates for self-acceptance.
More comebacks you might like
- Comebacks when someone calls you ugly
- What to say if someone calls you funny looking.
- Read more snappy comebacks to rude comments
Ed Sheeran was picked on for his red hair during his school days
The British singer, Ed Sheeran, of the song The ‘Lego House’ reveals that he was teased for his ginger hair growing up. Ed said, “I think everyone goes through a bit of bullying at school. Of course, you get picked on for certain things, but I think it ends up being a positive,” A lot of kids are teased because they look different from their peers.” Ed shared “I was quite a weird kid when I was little, I wore big glasses, had hearing problems, had a stutter and I had ginger hair, but I am now a successful musician and I have nothing to complain about.” It may have been hard being teased for red hair growing up, but it actually helped his careers later on, as there weren’t that many ginger haired kids on TV or YouTube, so it made it easier for Ben to stand out and get noticed.
Nathan was fed up with being teased and called a ginger
Nathan had always been teased for his red hair, but lately, it had become unbearable. His classmates would call him “ginger” and make jokes about his appearance, leaving him feeling embarrassed and ashamed when they did it publicly. He tried to ignore the teasing, but it was starting to get to him.
Nathan started preparing clever replies for when he was teased. Be prepared really help stop the teasing, because he knew exactly how to respond to shut people up. He realized that we all have something we can be teased about, whether it is being a ginger or having bad teeth.
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media may earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with someone who calls you a ginger and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.