It can be really hard to find the words to say to someone who continually doesn’t respect your personal boundaries whether it’s a good friend or a family member.
Chloe had always had a difficult relationship with her mother who had raised her as a single parent. Her mom, Genevieve, was divorced, didn’t have any intimate relationships, and interfered in Chloe’s life.
Chloe decided to take her older son, Felix, out of after-school care because he didn’t want to go anymore. Chloe and her husband were paying a lot of money monthly for the care, so it made sense to take their son out. The next day, Chloe mentioned to her mother that they were removing Felix from the program. Genevieve said it was a bad idea, went behind Chloe’s back, called Chloe’s husband, and said, “We need to have a meeting about this. I don’t want my grandson leaving the after-school care. Felix is too young at 11 years of age to go home on the bus alone.” Chloe’s husband told Genevieve that the decision had already been made and an email had been sent to remove him from the program.
What was shocking about the situation is that Genevieve thought that it was her decision to make even though she was not her grandson’s primary caregiver or paying the monthly fee. She was now interfering in Chloe’s parenting decisions and her marriage. Genevieve could not respect Chloe’s basic boundaries as a person or as an adult.
Have one of the comebacks below ready for the next time they cross the line. Remember, what you will allow is what will continue.
Comebacks for someone who won’t respect boundaries
- I need you to respect my boundaries if you have anything to say to me you can say it in private.
- No means no, now let it go.
- Your comments about X are not acceptable.
- Please don’t ask me again. I told you last time that I don’t feel comfortable with X.
- I will not tolerate any disrespect from you or anyone else.
- I’m sorry you got offended that one time you were treated the way you treat everyone all the time.
- I know, I know, I stood up for myself, I’m so mean.
- WHAT part of NO don’t you understand?
- You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to ignore it.
- Saying yes to happiness means learning to say no to people that stress you out.
More top ten comeback lists you might like
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Our FREE Starter Guide will show you the 3 simple steps you can take right now to stand up for yourself so that you can feel confident. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
Be prepared next time someone won’t respect your boundaries
If you have to deal with someone who won’t respect boundaries and who gives you a hard time, our bundle Snappy Comebacks any Situation can help you out. Be prepared for difficult people with clever responses on your phone or device at any time or anywhere.
YAASS but most of these are for mental interference what about physical
heres one i use to when someone asks for nudes…..
girl: let me ask my mum
guy: wait what!?
girl: she said no, sorry
Hah, I love that one Madz left! You can practically hear the needle-scratch in the guy’s mind, lol.