What should you say when someone you live with complains, “This house is a mess!” When you are constantly picking up after a family, it can be pretty frustrating. Anyone who has a toddler knows that cleaning with a toddler around is like raking leaves during a hurricane.
When someone complains that your house is a mess it can be embarrassing and exasperating. For a lot of people cleaning the house isn’t exactly their idea of a good time.
Anyone who has a toddler knows that cleaning with a toddler around is like raking leaves during a hurricane. When you have small kids at home you have to live with a certain amount of mess, chaos and large plastic objects.
If people complain, yet they aren’t willing to pitch in around the house, try a few of these zingers.
10 Best comebacks when someone says that your house is a mess
1. Every time I get the urge to clean I watch hoarders and decide that my house isn’t that messy after all!
2. I understand that dull women have immaculate homes. But I come from a long, long line of fascinating women.
3. Good moms have sticky floors, dirty ovens, and happy kids.
4. Both of us can’t look good at the same time. It’s either me or the house.
5. The truth is men who do housework get laid more often!
6. Feel free to pick up a broom and clean up.
7. I prefer to call it a lived in look.
8. It’s a work in progress, I call it ‘organized disarray.’
9. At least it is a strategic mess and I know exactly where everything is!
10. Right now I have more important things to deal with then cleaning up a messy house.
Why do people say your house is a mess?
People may say “your house is a mess” if they notice that you have a disorganized living space with stuff everywhere and looks cluttered and untidy. Their remarks might come out of a concern for the hygiene of your home or if they think that your living conditions aren’t safe.
We all have different standards of what we consider a tidy and organized home to be. Your season of life can also determine how messy your house is, because if you are in the middle of university exams a tidy home is not your number one priority.
More comebacks you might like
- Funny responses when someone says you look tired
- What to say when someone says you need to lose weight
- Best ever comebacks to insults
Andrea’s messy husband complained the house was a mess
Andrea couldn’t help but stifle a laugh as her husband, known for his own disorganized tendencies, complained about the state of the house. Finding humor in the situation, she playfully teased him about the irony of his observation. Instead of letting it escalate into a disagreement, they turned it into a lighthearted moment.
They both acknowledged their shared responsibility in maintaining the home and decided to tackle the tidying up together. As they worked side by side, they shared jokes and laughter, turning the chore into a fun and collaborative activity. In the end, the house was left clean and tidy, and they both appreciated the effort they put in to create a comfortable living space.
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media may earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with a person who says your house is a mess and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.