Arrogance is defined as thinking that you are superior to others and that you are in some way special. It is an insult to be called arrogant by those around you, but often people mistake arrogance for confidence.
Chris was a new stockbroker, he wasn’t a big producer but he was certainly trying to become one. He bought an expensive suit to wear to work and he was trying to project a new air of confidence. Things were going well at work for Chris but his mom thought he was getting a little big for his britches, she believed that he was becoming arrogant. Chris was trying to and act as if, to possess the quality of confidence before he even had it.
You certainly cannot control what other people of think of you, people have their own perceptions. Don’t twist yourself into a pretzel trying to please all the people in your life, 30 percent of the people will love you, thirty will hate you and thirty percent won’t care.
When you are going through a growth stage in your life, not everyone is going to appreciate the new confident you.
If you get told off for being arrogant, you can use one of our clever comebacks below.
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Our FREE Starter Guide will show you the 3 simple steps you can take right now to stand up for yourself so that you can feel confident. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
11 Best comebacks when someone calls you arrogant
1. I would like to see your point of view but I can not get my head that far up my ass.
2. Don’t act like you are not impressed.
3. I’m not arrogant, I am just better than you.
4. I’m not arrogant or patronizing. I am condescending, I am sure you will be able to figure that out.
5. I’m not arrogant, I’m confident. There’s a difference between the two.
6. I don’t know why inferior people think I am arrogant.
7. There is a fine line between confident and arrogant. I crossed that line a long time ago.
8. Many insecure people confuse confidence with arrogance… Maybe you should get some. Just saying.
9. Look, it’s not my fault that you’re so insecure.
10. I’m not arrogant, I’m confident. There’s a difference between the two.
11. I’m not arrogant. I would apologize if I ever made a mistake. Well, if the day ever comes.
Definition of an arrogant person
Spotting an arrogant person is easy because of their sense of self-importance and the constant urge to be in the spotlight. Arrogant people have an exaggerated sense of self-importance. They feel like they are superior and always right.
They have a moral ascendency over others and believe that they are better in every way. If someone is arrogant, they will more or less act like God. Of course, this trait is reflected in how they treat others. They may exhibit problematic behaviours like talking down to others, dismissing opinions, or belittling others’ accomplishments.
These types of people may also have a strong need for control, which makes them unwilling to compromise and listen to other’s ideas. Arrogance can be a defense mechanism. Perhaps they are insecure deep inside and use their arrogance as a facade to hide it.
Of course, having confidence is not bad and it’s actually healthy. But it’s very different from arrogance. Arrogance can be harmful and destructive. It can stunt your growth and ruin your relationships.
How to deal with being called arrogant
If you have been arrogant, there’s a big chance that you’d be called out. This can strike you pretty bad and may hurt, but there are always ways to deal with it healthily to avoid further damage to relationships.
1. Listen to the feedback: This may be difficult to do without being angry, but it’s an excellent step to improvement. Listening will help you understand why you were likely called arrogant and can be a good start in self-assessment.
2. Reflect on your behaviour: If someone calls you arrogant, they most likely have a reason why. It may be time to reflect on your actions. Recalling your actions can help you recognize when you may have come across as arrogant. Perhaps there were many times when you have been dismissive or condescending. Being mindful about your actions can help you work on them.
3. Practice humility: You can be bold and practice the absolute opposite of arrogance: humility. Start small and slowly incorporate it into your life. Even though progress could be slow, keep practicing humility in your interactions with others until it becomes natural to you. You can start with the basics like active listening, acknowledging others perspectives, and receiving criticisms.
4. Work on self-improvement: When you find the things you need to change, work on them slowly but surely. There’s no need to rush, the most important thing is that you are trying your best and doing every effort you can.
5. Seek support: However, if being called arrogant negatively affects your life, visiting a professional is always an option. A professional is certified and capable of helping you navigate through these negative emotions and develop healthy strategies for coping.
Being confident and having self-assurance is different from being arrogant. Confidence brings good things, while arrogance is destructive and unlikeable. Balance your confidence with humility and respect.
More comebacks you might like
- Comebacks if people call you an asshole
- Comebacks for being called fake
- To read more comebacks to rude comments click here.
Famous people who have been called arrogant in the media
As you may have already assumed, a lot of celebrities have been also labeled as arrogant following some situations they have gotten themselves into.
- Kanye West: West has been known to be insecure and arrogant because of his statements. Some of his most arrogant statements include: “I’m the f*cking end-all, be-all of music.” and “I am Warhol. I am the number one most impactful artist of our generation. I am Shakespeare in the flesh. Walt Disney. Nike. Google.” He sounds insufferable.
- Justin Bieber: Justin has been in the music industry as early as the age of 12, and so he has been called many things. He’s often called a spoiled brat and arrogant because of his tendency to confront and fight paparazzi.
- Cristiano Ronaldo: Soccer is a popular sport that includes celebrations in and out of the field. Ronaldo has been called arrogant for his on-field celebrations and narcissistic tendencies like perceived self-importance.
- Madonna: The pop icon has been called arrogant for executing diva-like behavior and acting superior.
- Simon Cowell: We all know him as a brutally honest judge in America’s Got Talent. Simon has been on the receiving end of criticisms from the public. He’s usually called arrogant and indifferent.
The media is a dangerous entity, and it’s important to remember that not everything you see in the media is true. Regardless of whichever celebrity is bad or good on TV, they are still humans and deserving of respect.
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media may earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with being called arrogant by others and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.
Better Help is a great resource where you can talk to a counselor from the comfort of your own home.
Taking care of your own needs isn’t selfish, and you will feel better in the long run.