It is amazing how strangers feel comfortable walking up to a perfect stranger and telling them that they have too many children. What is even more shocking, is people think it is OK to say these kinds of comments in front of the kids.
The number of children you have is such a personal decision, it doesn’t warrant being discussed with strangers in the grocery store. Many have large families for religious reasons. People are not as used to seeing large families anymore, the average household has just two kids.
Next time someone makes a rude comment about how many children you have, use one of our clever comebacks.
Best comebacks when someone says you have too many children
1. Which one do you suggest I send back?
2. My children will be funding your social security.
3. We plan to keep having them until we get our own reality show.
4. We have full hands and even fuller hearts.
5. My husband and I are very intelligent people and believe we should pass on our great genes as much as we can. Why did you stop having children?
More large family comebacks you might like
- Are those children all yours?
- Are you done having children?
- You must have your hands full.
- To read more answers to rude questions.
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media may earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with a person who says you have too many children and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.
GOT ANY COMMENTS, QUESTIONS OR TIPS FOR DEALING WITH SOMEONE WHO ASKS IF YOUR CHILD KNOWS THEY ‘RE ADOPTED? SHARE THEM IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.