Do you have a friend who gossips about you or other people? It can be beyond hurtful to find out that someone that you thought was a good friend is talking about you behind your back. Be careful who you trust. If someone talks about others with you, they will certainly talk about you with others.
We have all been taught we shouldn’t talk about people behind their backs, but some people can’t help themselves and constantly talk negatively about others.
Jared was friends with a girl in high school. He had been warned that Clarissa was a gossip, but he thought she seemed nice. He found out during the summer that she had been spreading rumours that he was gay even though he had never told her such a thing and liked girls. Jared realized he could not be friends with such a toxic person and distanced himself from her. He was still in a tennis club with Clarissa, so he couldn’t avoid her completely. He heard from coaches and others that she had been saying horrible and shocking things about him that weren’t true. The funny thing is that in time, people found out who she really was and nobody liked her. She kept repeating the same pattern.
If you get tired of being contaminated by the gossip’s poison and want them to stop, here are a few things you can say to let the gossip know that you don’t want any part of it.
Top ten comebacks for a gossip
- If you have a problem with me, tell me, not everyone else.
- It doesn’t bother me that you talk about me behind my back. What bothers me is you don’t get all your facts right.
- What’s that? You heard a bunch of stuff about me from someone who hates me? That MUST be true!
- If it’s not your story to tell don’t tell it.
- I never judge someone by the opinion of another.
- If you didn’t hear it with your own ears, or see it with your own eyes. Don’t invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!
- Rumours, carried by haters, spread by fools and accepted by the ignorant.
- The crap you heard about me might be true, or it could be as fake as the person who told you.
- Rumours, I found cut so much about myself didn’t’ even know.
- If it doesn’t involve you it shouldn’t concern you.
Perez Hilton started his career being a gossip
Perez Hilton is a notorious gossip, he created the infamous Hollywood gossip blog PerezHilton.com He started blogging in 2005 and he is now reportedly worth be $30 million.
Perez is openly gay, on his blog he tries to out celebrities who are secretly gay. Hilton has been criticized for exposing things that people are not ready to share publicly. Perez responded to the criticism by saying to Access Hollywood.:
It upsets me that people think what I’m doing is a bad thing”, I don’t think it’s a bad thing. If you know something to be a fact, why not report it? Why is that still taboo?
I guess Perez has no trouble sleeping at night.