Dealing with family can drive you crazy and stress you out, especially during the holiday season. You may be staying with your family again for the first time in years, and it can bring up old patterns and behaviours.
Those closest to us know how to push our buttons and wind us up, causing us to react negatively. Be aware of certain triggers and things they might say to set you off.
Prepare before your see your difficult relative, be aware of behaviour patterns that it will probably repeat when you visit. If you know that your mean aunt Bertha might take a run at you during a family dinner, you may want to have a couple of comebacks ready to make her look foolish for always picking on you in public.
It’s true that you can choose your friends but you can’t choose your family. The challenging thing about dealing with difficult family relatives is you may feel you are stuck with the person or situation. You can change jobs, swap out friends, but family is supposed to be for life.
Even though it is hard to deal with, remember that a lot of their bad behaviour is more about them than it is about you. If you take a closer look, you will often find that the person has challenges in many of their relationships.
Here are a few clever comebacks you can say that won’t ruffle too many feathers.
What to say to crazy family members
- Every family has one weird relative. If you don’t know who it is, then it’s probably you
- Any family tree produces some lemons, some nuts and a few bad apples.
- Families are like fudge – mostly sweet with a few nuts.
- They say happiness is having a big, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.
- Love the people god gave you because one day he’ll want them back.
- Is your drama going to have an intermission soon? I need to pee.
- Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean your right.
- Relax, we’re all crazy. It isn’t a competition.
- Getting in an argument with you is like getting arrested. Everything I say, can and will be used against me.
- Home is where you can say anything you want because nobody listens to you anyway.
- Our family is just one tent away from a full blown circus!
Be ready to respond to your crazy family
If you have to deal with difficult family members who give you a hard time, our book Snappy Comebacks any Situation can help you out. Be prepared for rude relatives with a clever response on your phone or device next time you have to see your family.
More comebacks you might like
- What to say when someone says don’t talk back to me
- Comebacks if someone calls you a loser
- Check out our top ten lists