It can be very awkward when someone asks if your child knows if they are adopted, especially when the child is standing within earshot.
Adoptive parents get peppered with questions and comments from curious strangers who are often insensitive to families feelings. People should be more sensitive to others, especially asking such personal questions in front of an adopted child. Unfortunately, not everyone is up to date on social etiquette.
Here are a few snappy answers to let the person know that they are out of line asking such personal questions.
Best comebacks to does you child know that they are adopted
1. Well, she does NOW. Thanks.
2. Well if she didn’t all she’d need is a mirror.
3. Shhhhh, keep it down, I don’t want my husband to find out she’s not his!
4. She does know she’s adopted. She’s Native American and said to tell you to get off her land!
More snappy adoption comebacks you might like
- How to reply to where is her real mom
- Clever replies when people ask if your adopted children are really siblings
- Read more answers to rude parenting questions
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media may earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with a person who asks if your child knows they ‘re adopted and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.
Better Help is a great resource where you can talk to a counselor from the comfort of your own home.
Taking care of your own needs isn’t selfish, and you will feel better in the long run.