When people call you irresponsible, it could be because you are not doing what someone else thinks you should be doing.
People often have resistance if you don’t live your life according to their agenda. If you come from a family of three generations of dentists, they are not going to like it if you buck the trend and decide to become a media influencer. Your mom probably won’t appreciate your career choice, even if you point out that you are earning more than her by flogging shoes on Instagram.
In this day and age of political correctness and zealous people, you are going to sometimes get called irresponsible, whatever you say or do. When you don’t cater to someone else’s needs or opinions, you are going to get called out for offending someone or sharing your views that some would consider provocative.
It is important to live your life on your own terms as long as you are not physically hurting anyone else. Note, that doesn’t include them getting psychologically “hurt” by different thinking and perspectives. You only have so much time on the planet, and to make the most of your life you have to do what you want to do.
Next time someone calls you irresponsible or your opinions awful, humor them with a comeback from the list below, and keep on living your life on your terms.
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Our FREE Starter Guide will show you the 3 simple steps you can take right now to stand up for yourself so that you can feel confident. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
15 Best comebacks when someone calls you irresponsible
1. Yeah, I’m trying to make better bad decisions.
2. I’m only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
3. I don’t recall volunteering to be called the responsible adult.
4. Another fine day ruined by responsibility.
5. At least I am responsible enough not to stick my nose in other people’s business.
6. Well that’s your perspective. I am trying to live a full life. Some people are alive but live like they are already dead.
7. The biggest risk in life is not taking any risks.
8. I am not interested in conforming to societies expectations. There are many ways to live life.
9. Just because I am not living my life the way that you want me to does not mean I am irresponsible.
10. Thanks for your opinion, but I’m going to continue doing what makes me happy.
11. I’m sorry, I don’t recall putting you in charge of my life.
12. Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I’ll go with my own instincts on this one.
13. I appreciate your concern, but I’m perfectly capable of managing my own life.
I4. I don’t let anyone else’s expectations dictate my life choices.
15. I’m sorry, but I don’t think it’s appropriate to make negative comments about someone’s life choices.
Definition of an irresponsible person
Each one of us has responsibilities that we need to fulfill. Being responsible means that you understand and value other people’s time and efforts. This only means that being irresponsible shows how little you care for others.
An irresponsible person is someone who fails to fulfill their obligations or duties. These individuals usually don’t care about their roles in a certain setting. And so, they often neglect the consequences of their actions.
Being Irresponsible usually entails a lack of accountability, poor decision-making, or disregard for themselves and others. Irresponsible people naturally have a hard time maintaining relationships and keeping up with them. In the same way, it’s hard for them to do a good job when it comes to their duties at work or school.
Being irresponsible makes you unreliable. Trust is important in a relationship and without it, it’s hard to build good ones. As much as possible, be responsible with what role or task is entrusted to you.
How to deal with being called irresponsible
Being called “irresponsible” can be a wake-up call. It can be hurtful but there’s a lot of ways to power through it. Here are some steps you can take to healthily handle the situation.
1. Stay calm
If you have been called irresponsible, take it as a constructive comment. Do not act aggressively. Letting your emotions control you will not benefit you in any way.
2. Seek feedback when people call you irresponsible
Try to ask for honest feedback from trusted people. Irresponsibility is very problematic and can affect people around you. Ask them why they called you irresponsible. Listen to their feedback and try to understand their perspective.
3. Be honest
If you know that you have been irresponsible, apologize to those you’ve inconvenienced. Admitting your mistakes is one of the most important steps to positive change.
4. Work on self-improvement
Being irresponsible is not a trait you want to encourage. Take helpful steps to improve yourself and your relationships. Try to ask for guidance and help from people you trust.
5. Surround yourself with positive influences
The community you belong to is a very important factor in your growth. Surround yourself with positive people who support and encourage you instead of those who lie and bring you down.
Everybody has their responsibilities so do not inconvenience others because of your irresponsibility. It’s good to stay true to yourself but make sure that you are nurturing positive traits.
More you might like
- What to say when you are called selfish
- Comebacks when you are called rude
- Read more comebacks to insults
Famous people who have been called irresponsible
In the celebrity world, there are also a lot of famous people called irresponsible. Here are some celebrities labeled as irresponsible.
Lindsay Lohan: Lindsay Lohan has had a lot of legal troubles during her career. This is mainly the reason why she’s labeled as irresponsible. She became famous at a young age, but she has since changed her ways and became a mother.
1. Charlie Sheen: The actor has shown his irresponsibility through his uncontrolled public outbursts.
2. Britney Spears: Britney Spears has faced a lot of problems in her life which are usually covered by the media. And so, she has been called irresponsible in the way she dances provocatively on Instagram, even though her children have asked her not to.
3. Justin Bieber: Justin has also been caught in many public appearances and interactions which showed a lack of responsibility.
4. Kanye West: Kanye has shown very controversial behaviours showing immaturity. Although he is a grown adult, he is known to be one of the most irresponsible celebrities.
Although people can sometimes be irresponsible, it’s important to remember that there is always room for growth. Name-calling and hurtful words are not an efficient solution. It’s better to promote acceptance and respect for people of all backgrounds. Be a place where they can have a chance to grow and change for the better.
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media may earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with being called irresponsible by others and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.
Better Help is a great resource where you can talk to a counselor from the comfort of your own home.
Taking care of your own needs isn’t selfish, and you will feel better in the long run.