Urban dictionary says an asshole is, “Anyone who doesn’t do exactly what you think they ought to do, exactly when you think they ought to do it.” A lot of people can get pretty annoyed when you are not doing what they want for their personal agenda.
If you have been an asshole own it, apologize and move on. If you’re not really being an asshole, you may want to use one of comebacks below.
9 Best comebacks when someone calls you an asshole
1. I am not an asshole, I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate assholes!
2. Everyone has an asshole friend, if you do not, then you are the asshole!
3. I never dreamed I would grow up to be an asshole but here I am killing it.
4. Never be nice to an asshole, all you get is shit in return.
5. Nothing brightens up a room like your absence.
6. I feel better knowing that I am not the only asshole because you’re here.
7. Yeah, I’m an asshole but in the best way possible.
8. I am not just an asshole, I am the asshole.
9. Don’t go away angry. Just go away.
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Our FREE Starter Guide will show you the 3 simple steps you can take right now to stand up for yourself so that you can feel confident. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
What does it mean if you are called an asshole
Not going to lie but being called an asshole is a direct insult. It’s derogatory and could never mean something positive. An asshole can be many things, but typically, they are rude, insensitive, or inconsiderate.
When somebody is an asshole, they exhibit offensive behaviors that hurt others. Most of the time, these people are very insensitive and lack empathy. No one would like to be called an asshole; even assholes themselves wouldn’t want that.
While it may hurt, consider it as a wake-up call. Your behaviour may deserve to be called out, and it is your chance to improve. It can be hard to swallow, especially when you’re oblivious about your actions, but better responses exist.
How to deal with people calling you an asshole
Do not counter constructive criticism with anger. Instead, use the feedback to improve. Here are some healthy responses to when you get called an asshole:
- Listen to the feedback: One of the hardest things to do in confrontations is to listen, but I swear it’s worth it. If people have used the word asshole to describe you, then there’s a high possibility that you’ve acted like one. Being oblivious and apathetic does not make you innocent. So, listen to feedback and understand why someone called you an asshole.
- Reflect on your behaviour: Find peace to clear your mind and think about what you did and how it made people feel. It’s time for you to evaluate yourself. Are you often rude and insensitive? Do you feel like you’ve hurt people because of these behaviours? Identifying what’s wrong is the first step to correcting it.
- Apologize and make amends: One of your priorities should be sincerely apologizing to people you’ve hurt. Take responsibility for whatever hurt and damage you’ve caused them. This would mean a lot to them and could be the start of rebuilding healthy relationships.
- Work on self-improvement: Keep on doing things that help you grow. Now that you know which things to improve, you can take the necessary steps to become a better version of yourself. Be more mindful of other people’s boundaries and feelings.
- Seek support: If being called an asshole impacts your mental health or self-esteem, consider seeking the help of a therapist or counselor. They can help you work through these feelings and develop strategies for coping with difficult situations.
It’s important to remember that treating others with respect and kindness is essential for building healthy relationships and contributing to a positive social environment.
More comebacks you might like
Famous people who have been called an asshole
Despite the celebrity life’s pressure to act good in front of the camera, there are still many famous personalities who exhibit unpleasant behaviours. These actions lead them to earn the term asshole:
- Bill O’Reilly: The former Fox News host has earned the title of being an asshole for his controversial statements. He has also displayed aggressive behaviour towards guests and has made many uncomfortable with these actions.
- Elon Musk: The tech entrepreneur has been called an asshole for his behavior towards employees. Elon Musk has also been caught up in public feuds with other celebrities here and there.
- Simon Cowell: Simon has been a well-known judge famous for his honest review of contestants in America’s Got Talent. His criticisms are blunt and hurtful, and viewers think that it’s because he lacks empathy.
- Kanye West: Along with his many names, Kanye is also labelled as an asshole. He earned this name because of his self-centred, insensitive claims and problematic statements.
While these celebrities may have done something that earned them the term ‘asshole,’ it’s good to consider that they have good qualities too. A negative comment does not encompass the entirety of someone.
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media may earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with being called an asshole by others and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.
Better Help is a great resource where you can talk to a counselor from the comfort of your own home.
Taking care of your own needs isn’t selfish, and you will feel better in the long run.