People pick on other people who they think can’t defend themselves or won’t respond to a verbal attack. By picking on someone who doesn’t respond the bully feels strong and powerful over the other person.
It can be challenging when you are a genuinely nice person and getting into arguments and putting people down just isn’t your thing. I get it because I am the same way, but at some point, you have to put up a few boundaries and let people know that it isn’t OK to talk to you in a rude or derogatory way, you are not a punching bag for verbal abuse.
You also don’t have to lower yourself and use derogatory language, you can let the person know that their insults are not OK by using one of our clean comebacks. Once you have said what you need to say, move on and don’t dwell on it, don’t ruin your day thinking about the low-level person.
If someone is continually verbally bullying you, you can walk away from the relationship, not all relationships were meant to last forever. Putting up with abuse is not healthy for anyone.
Shut the person up for good with one of our clever comebacks below.
Clean comebacks you can use when someone is treating you badly
- I may not be perfect but at least I am not you.
- The only thing wrong with me is I’m talking to you.
- Whatever is eating at you must be suffering horribly!
- I don’t care what everyone else says. I don’t think you’re that bad.
- I hope the rest of your day is as pleasant as you are.
- They say opposites attract, I hope you meet someone good looking, intelligent and cultured.
- May you run out of toilet paper when you need it most.
- You do realize that people just tolerate you?
- May all your bacon burn!
- There are empty Petri dishes more cultured than you.
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Ever feel like you just don’t know how to speak up for yourself? Our Stand Up for Yourself the Easy Way Guide will show you how to do it in just 3 simple steps. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
More you might like
- Top ten comebacks for backstabbers
- Top ten comebacks for unsolicited advice
- Read more comebacks to insults