Dealing with annoying people is an inevitable part of life. There will be times you need to stand up for yourself and times when it is better to walk away, after all, you don’t have to attend every argument you are invited to.
Difficult people usually have the same behaviour around other people, not just you. You can start wondering why this is happening to you, but it is their problem, and they probably have many difficult relationships in their life.
If someone is continually bothering you, it is important to set boundaries and let the person know. You can let them know what you find acceptable and what you don’t and what you are not willing to tolerate.
Maya had spent year’s dealing with her negative father who would contradict everything she said and continually make negative judgments about her life. She had learned to stop reacting to the criticisms, but when her father crossed the line, she always had a few one-liners in her pocket to let her dad know his behaviour was not OK.
Here are some snappy comebacks to let the person know that you want to be left alone.
Top Ten Comebacks for People who Keep bothering You
- Please do not disturb I am disturbed enough already.
- Please don’t interrupt me while I’m ignoring you.
- How do I block you in real life?
- You’re like a hemorrhoid, a pain the ass who won’t go away.
- If I throw a stick, will you go away?
- No…you’re not bothering me. In fact, I stopped listening to you about 10 minutes ago!
- You go girl! And don’t come back!
- Don’t think of it as goodbye. Think of it as a chance to stop bothering me.
- Go away, I’m too sober to deal with you.
- Please go away I’m introverting.
Be prepared next time you have to deal with someone who keeps bothering you
If you have to deal with someone who keeps bothering you for everything and who gives you a hard time, our book Snappy Comebacks any Situation can help you out. Be prepared for difficult people with clever responses on your phone or device any time or anywhere.