Nobody likes to be told that they are boring! At some point in time, I’m pretty sure that we’ve all been called boring because everybody has different interests. A person who is incredibly interesting to one person could, in fact, be boring to another. We’re all curious about different things and don’t necessarily share the same sense of humour, it’s not one size fits all.
You will find groups of people congregatge together because they share certain interests, the folks who join a country club, people who take up line dancing and students who join the science fair.
If someone insults you and calls you boring, try a few of these snappy and clever responses.
9 Best comebacks when someone calls you boring
1. Yeah, and what makes you so exciting?
2. I’m bored of being bored, because being bored is so boring.
3. Is there an App I can download to make you go away?
4. I may be boring, but you are rude. Boring can be fixed…
5. If you looking to be entertained why don’t you go to the circus.
6. You don’t have to say every thought that you think out loud.
7. I’d rather be boring than insensitive towards other people’s feelings.
7. Oh, I guess you thought it was my job to entertain you?
8. I wasn’t put on planet earth to amuse you. That’s your job.
9. What you think of me is really none of my business.
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Our FREE Starter Guide will show you the 3 simple steps you can take right now to stand up for yourself so that you can feel confident. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
Definition of a boring person
Being called boring can be hurtful, especially if you see yourself otherwise. In our lifetime, we probably met quite a few boring people. This does not mean that they are truly boring, it could be because your hobbies and personalities do not match.
Generally speaking, a boring person is someone who is not captivating. They are typically plain and cannot captivate attention. These people usually like talking about uninteresting or repetitive things. Again, this is subjective, as some people don’t vibe with what you describe as “fun.”
Someone who is “boring” may also lack enthusiasm and energy. They may not show their emotions, so it’s hard to read or interact and build a relationship with them. Boring people may also lack a sense of humour, which makes interactions dull.
Being called boring or calling someone boring is very subjective. What one person finds boring may be different for another.
How to deal with being called boring
Even though being called boring is just an opinion and is not true to all, it can hurt. Thankfully, here are several ways to deal with it in a healthy way:
- Listen to what they have to say: While it could be awkward to ask for a reason about why someone called you boring, it might help you understand them. If you think their reason calls for a change in your behaviour, then you can start on it.
- Reflect on your behaviour: Taking time to reflect and think has a lot of benefits for you and your relationships. Are there times when you may appear not very interesting to others or unengaged? Identifying specific behaviours can help you assess and work on changing them. Reflecting can help you come up with an excellent way to adjust how you interact with other people.
- Try new things: Hobbies are one of the things that make someone enjoyable. You can try new activities which can help you develop new interests and skills. This way, you get more out of life and enjoy yourself while meeting people with the same hobbies.
- Work on your communication skills: Sometimes, you may be called boring for the way you communicate. Try to incorporate more fun and lightheartedness during conversations. Listen and engage by contributing fun and relevant things to the topic.
- Seek support: If being called boring has bothered you so much that it’s impacting your mental health or self-esteem, visit a professional. They could help you find the best coping activity that would work best in your situation.
There is no exact list of what’s boring or not. What’s boring for you may be fun for others, and it’s okay. However, no matter what people say, it’s best to be honest with yourself and be who you are. Enjoy the good things you like without minding how others may perceive you.
More comebacks you might like
- Top ten comebacks for verbal bullies
- Top ten comebacks for rude strangers
- More comebacks you might like
Famous people who have been called boring
Many famous people have been labelled boring because of various things, and here are a few of them:
- Taylor Swift: The iconic Taylor Swift is often called boring because of her mundane image. Her clean-cut image and lack of controversy make her someone who is “not fun,” especially in a controversy-fueled industry.
- Tim Duncan: The retired NBA player has been labelled boring because of his quiet nature. He has been very reserved, which has caused people to conclude that he has a bland personality.
- Mitt Romney: While politicians are expected to be fun and engaging to catch the public’s attention, Romney is different. He has been called boring often, mainly because of his stiff and robotic public appearances.
- Anne Hathaway: Anne Hathaway has been unexpectedly called boring despite being one of the most-known actresses in Hollywood. People think that she lacks personality. People also believe that her public appearances are unnatural and overly rehearsed.
- Mark Zuckerberg: In addition to being socially awkward, the Facebook CEO has also built a name for being boring because of his monotonous speaking style. Zuckerberg is also naturally reserved, so it adds to the people’s ‘he is boring’ narrative.
Many people have called these individuals boring, but others can say otherwise. They can be the most fun individuals for some, and it’s important to respect that. Let’s not put these people in a box! It’s good to get to know a person first before assuming and labelling them as such.
Calvin was tired of being called boring
Calvin was often called boring by his friends and family because of his love for antiquing. He enjoyed spending his weekends browsing through antique stores and finding unique pieces to add to his collection. However, his friends and family couldn’t understand his passion and often made comments about how he needed to find a more exciting hobby.
Calvin explained that antiquing was something he was truly passionate about and that it brought him joy and fulfillment. He also explained that he was making a lot of money selling treasures that he found online.
Once they realized that Calvin made good money from his side hustle, they started to stop with snide comments about his hobby being boring.
To his surprise, his friends actually asked him for some tips about buying and selling in the hopes of earning some extra cash themselves.
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media may earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with being called boring by others and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.
Better Help is a great resource where you can talk to a counselor from the comfort of your own home.
Taking care of your own needs isn’t selfish, and you will feel better in the long run.