People who try to control your every move do so because they are insecure. You may be with a controlling person if they constantly criticize everything you do, isolate you from your friends and family, and try to change you while squashing your self-confidence and self-esteem.
I knew a flight attendant whose boyfriend, Dazza, would call her twenty times a day wanting to know her every move. Isabelle had to call him before going out, he wanted to know where she was going and if she didn’t tell him beforehand, he would get very angry. After a couple of years of his controlling behaviour, she received a phone call from another woman, who said that she thought they had the same boyfriend.
Isabelle didn’t think it could be true, she went over to the woman’s house, and there was a picture of her boyfriend and this woman cuddled up, which they took on vacation. There were messages from him on her answering machine saying how much he loved her.
The crazy thing is Dazza was just as controlling with his second girlfriend as he was with Isabelle.
Here are some snappy comebacks to let the controlling person know that you are not interested in being controlled or told what to do.
What to say to a controlling person
- If I was meant to be controlled I’d come with a remote.
- If you want to control everything start with controlling your urge to speak.
- You. Cut out that egocentric control bullshit now.
- I’m sorry that the control freak in you activates the psycho bitch in me.
- There is nothing wrong with being a control freak if your controlling your words, behaviour and attitude.
- I’m going to need you to turn down your psycho for just a bit.
- I find it curious how people who have no self-control and respect for your feelings are the same people who demand self-control for you.
- Everyone has a right to an opinion, and I have a right not to listen to it.
- Go find someone else to control because you are not controlling me.
- People often forget that it is your own choice of how you want to spend the rest of your life.
Be prepared next time you have to deal with a controlling person
If you have to deal with someone who is controlling and who gives you a hard time, our book Snappy Comebacks any Situation can help you out. Be prepared for difficult people with clever responses on your phone or device any time or anywhere.
More comebacks you might like
- Top ten comebacks for complainers
- Top ten comebacks for fake friends
- Check out a few more of our top ten lists
Get snappy comebacks delivered to your inbox
* indicates required