If you have ever being labeled stupid, don’t listen, it’s simply not true. There are many forms of intelligence, we all learn in different ways and excel in different areas. You may find math challenging but your friend who is a math genius may end up working for your company one day. It has been said that A students are rule followers who end up working for C students who have more entrepreneurial thinking.
The traditional education system isn’t suitable for many students. I remember seeing a kid on a television show who couldn’t answer questions on a written test, his mom fought to have him tested verbally and he received an A on the exam. He knew the information, he just couldn’t process his answers in the usual written exam format.
Richard Branson is the definition of success, but what you may not know is that he nearly flunked out of school. In fact, he had dyslexia, which made traditional education challenging for him, so he dropped out of school at 16. He started his first business a magazine for young people called Student. His business continued to grow, he started more business and his organization now runs over over 400 different companies.
WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF?
Our FREE Starter Guide will show you the 3 simple steps you can take right now to stand up for yourself so that you can feel confident. It’s a game changer–get it free for a limited time!
If Richard Branson was judged by the traditional education system of learning from books and regurgitating the information on a test he probably wouldn’t be considered a successful student. Yet he is incredibly accomplished, and there are very few people who would be able to achieve more than Sir Richard Branson.
So next time someone calls you stupid shut them up with one of our comebacks and don’t worry about what they think of you.
25 Best comebacks when you are called stupid
1. Is that right? And what exactly have you accomplished in your lifetime that makes you Einstein?
2. Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but you abuse the privilege.
3. I am not a proctologist, but I know an ass when I see one.
4. Oh, I see you are rubbing off on me.
5. Here, let me wipe that BS from your mouth.
6. Your arrogance is due to your own lack of intelligence.
7. Maybe I am for talking to you – I certainly need better people in my life who don’t insult me.
8. If being smart means treating people the way you just treated me, then I’d rather be dumb.
9. Thanks for the input, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t ask for your opinion.
10. I don’t waste brain power on idiots.
11. Intelligence in life is actually getting the life that you want.
12. Honestly, your opinion means very little to me.
13. And you’re still trying to climb to my level.
14. If you ever wondered why people don’t like you, take a look at the way you treat others.
15. Since when did you become the expert on intelligence?
16. Truly intelligent people don’t feel the need to denigrate others.
17. Just because we have different points of view doesn’t mean you need to insult me.
18. Let’s stick to constructive dialogue rather than personal attacks.
19. Let’s try to communicate in a respectful manner.
20. There is no need to report to name calling. Let’s act like adults.
21. We need to be respectful to each other,, even when we disagree.
22. I don’t know if you know this but in this day and age it is not OK to go around insulting people’s intelligence.
23. I may not be a genius but I certainly don’t go around insulting others and making them feel bad about themselves.
24. If someone has nobody who cares about them, I certainly wouldn’t describe them as an intelligent person.
25. We are all intelligent in different ways. Enough with the snotty attitude.
Definition of a stupid person
“Stupid” is a word people often toss around to label someone who seems not so bright or makes iffy decisions. We might judge based on academic record, solving problems, or just hanging out together. But remember, smarts show up in all sorts of different forms, and we each have our own skills.
Let’s be kind and treat folks with empathy, ditch the mean words. Aim for chats that spread good vibes, respect, and show we get where others are coming from, no matter who they are.
Why do people call others stupid?
People may call others stupid for many different reasons, such as they want to to assert their dominance over others or feel superior. People may resort to name-calling as a way to cope with their own insecurities or to mask their own shortcomings. Some folks also use name-calling as a form of bullying or to undermine someone else’s confidence.
Calling a person someone else stupid is not an effective way to communicate and can cause harm to the other person. Obviously, it will eave the other person feel angry and hurt, and it can damage relationships.
Some people need to learn the skills to treat others with respect and kindness, even in moments of frustration or disagreement. Instead of resorting to name-calling, it’s better to communicate our feelings and opinions in a constructive and respectful way.
How to deal with people calling you stupid
When folks call you dumb, it hurts, but it’s an opportunity to do some soul searching about how you are putting yourself out there.
- Feel the hit: Words hurt, they can knock your confidence. Know they mess with your head and mood.
- Love yourself: You’re more than smarts. Be kind to yourself, even when others aren’t.
- Teach ’em: If someone’s rude about your intelligence, school them on hurtful words. Show we’re all different and need empathy.
- Lean on pals: Words hurt deeply, chat with friends or professional counselor if it’s causing you stress.
- Show your shine: Forget limits, focus on what you’re great at. Do stuff that makes you happy and proud.
More comebacks you might like
- What to say when someone calls you weird
- Comebacks when someone calls you a loser
- More awesome zingers
Keep in mind, being labeled as stupid doesn’t sum you up who you are. We all rock distinct skills and talents. Embrace chances to learn and sprout from comments. Pledge to craft better habits for respecting and being cool to yourself and others.
If you don’t do well at school, it doesn’t mean you’re stupid
Quentin Tarantino was never a fan of school, with the exception of history class “because it was kind of like the movies,” he confessed to Entertainment Weekly.
Quentin dropped out of high school and worked at BlockBuster writing scripts in his spare time. Actor, Harvey Keitel, came in the local BlockBuster where Quentin was working, and Quentin recognized an opportunity. He asked Harvey if he would read his script “Reservoir Dogs”, he liked it so much he committed to be in the film.
Quentin went from being a sales assistant in a video shop to a famous international movie director in five years. There are many different kinds of intelligence and many forms of success.
Malcolm was tired of hearing of his friend calling him stupid and told him to stop
Malcolm had always been a good-natured person, but he was growing tired of his friend’s constant teasing and name-calling. He felt like his friend was crossing a line and disrespecting him. Malcolm had enough, and decided to confront his friend and tell him how he felt.
In a firm but respectful tone, Malcolm expressed his frustration and asked his friend to stop calling him stupid. He explained that it hurt his feelings and made him feel disrespected.
The friend made a snarky comment back to Malcolm. He didn’t stop calling him stupid completely, but things were better than they had been before.
The Role of counselling and self care
I Should Have Said Media may earn a commission after clicking links on this page at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
When you are dealing with being called stupid by others and you find it stressful, consider getting support from a professional. Talking to a counselor is a great way to work through a challenging situation, and help you find some strategies to work through the person’s behaviour.
Better Help is a great resource where you can talk to a counselor from the comfort of your own home.
Taking care of your own needs isn’t selfish, and you will feel better in the long run.