It can be really hard to find the words to say to someone who continually doesn’t respect your personal boundaries, whether it’s a good friend or a family member.
Chloe had always had a difficult relationship with her mother who had raised her as a single parent. Her mom, Genevieve, was divorced and didn’t have any intimate relationships and would interfere in Chloe’s life.
Chloe decided to take her older son, Felix, out of after-school care because he didn’t want to go anymore. Chloe and her husband were paying a lot of money monthly for the care, so it made sense to take their son out. The next day, Chloe mentioned to her mother that they were removing Felix from the program. Genevieve said it was a bad idea, went behind Chloe’s back and called up her husband and said, “We need to have a meeting about this. I don’t want my grandson leaving the after school care. Felix is too young at 11 years of age to go home on the bus alone.” Chloe’s husband told Genevieve that the decision had already been made and an email had been sent to remove him from the program.
What was shocking about the situation is that Genevieve actually thought that it was her decision to make, even though she was not her Grandson’s primary caregiver or paying the monthly fee. She was now interfering in Chloe’s parenting decisions and her marriage. Genevieve just could not respect Chloe’s basic boundaries as a person or as an adult.
Have one of the comebacks below ready for the next time they cross the line. Remember, what you will allow is what will continue.
Comebacks for someone who won’t respect boundaries
- No means no, now let it go.
- I’m sorry you got offended that one time you were treated the way you treat everyone all the time.
- I know, I know, I stood up for myself, I’m such a bitch.
- Givers have to set limits because takers rarely do.
- WHAT part of NO don’t you understand?
- Please cancel my subscription to your issues.
- You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to ignore it.
- I think it’s funny that people who treat you like crap get offended when you do the same to them.
- Saying yes to happiness means learning to say no to people that stress you out.
- Your inappropriateness knows no boundaries.
Be prepared next time someone won’t respect your boundaries
If you have to deal with someone who won’t respect boundaries and who gives you a hard time, our book Snappy Comebacks any Situation can help you out. Be prepared for difficult people with clever responses on your phone or device any time or anywhere.