Some people replay conversations and events over in their head for days, running different scenarios wondering if they could have handled a situation differently and worrying if they offended somebody. They berate themselves for mistakes and distress over what could go wrong in the future.
The continual pattern of negative thinking can sabotage your efforts for a positive outcome. A friend of mine, Monica, actually ruined a day off work because she got so worked up about a stressful situation that she felt miserable on her day of freedom away from the office.
Most people find it challenging to control their thinking and only think about what they want. Instead, people spiral into negative thought loops that become negative habitual patterns in their mind.
If someone is in a negative loop overthinking a situation, here are a few things you can say to help them get into a better frame of mind.
Top ten things to say to someone who overthinks everything
- How will you know if it is the right decision if you never make it?
- Your brain has too many tabs open.
- Over thinking kills your happiness.
- Stop over thinking. You are only creating problems that aren’t there.
- Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and think about what could go right.
- Your incessant over thinking and constant meddling in my life gives me diarrhea
- Over thinking leads to negative thoughts.
- Don’t believe everything you think.
- You can destroy your now by thinking about tomorrow.
- Stop saying I wish and start saying I will.
More top ten comeback lists you might like
- Top ten comebacks for for frenemies
- What to say to someone who cares what people think
- More kind words in difficult situations