What can you say to your friend or daughter who has just been dumped? Nobody wants to hear that the person that they have just spent time with is a total loser (even if they are).
It can be painful both physically and emotionally when you feel like your heart has been broken in two and stomped on.
Right after the breakup, it is hard to see that things will ever get better again. People tend to feel extreme emotions and think crazy thoughts like their destiny is spending their life alone, sitting home alone on a Saturday night watching rom coms. It can be paralyzing when you feel like you may never ever meet someone again.
Your loved one has to figure out their own way forward, but having you there offering a warm presence and kind words is extremely helpful.
Below are a few kind, uplifting things you can say, as well as a few zingers in case you just can’t help yourself.
What to say to someone going through a breakup
- One day someone will walk into your life and make you see why it never worked out with anyone else.
- Breakups aren’t always meant for make ups, sometimes they are meant for wakeups.
- Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can come together.
- No relationship is ever a waste of your time. If it didn’t bring you what you want it taught you what you don’t want.
- There’s a guy out there who’s going to be really happy that you didn’t get back together with your crappy ex-boyfriend.
- I’m sorry your relationship with the psycho that everyone warned you about didn’t work out.
- Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting them back together.
- Move on. It’s just a chapter in the past. But don’t close the book, just turn the page
- Someone, somewhere is looking for exactly what you have to offer.
- Sometimes you have to give up on people, not because you don’t care, because they don’t.
More comebacks you might like
- What to say to someone hooking up with an ex
- Why did you and your ex break up
- Kind words in difficult situations