What can you say to your friend or daughter who has just been dumped? Nobody wants to hear that the person that they have just spent time with is a total loser (even if they are).
It can be painful both physically and emotionally when you feel like your heart has been broken in two and stomped on.
Right after the breakup, it is hard to see that things will ever get better again. People tend to feel extreme emotions and think crazy thoughts like their destiny is spending their life alone, sitting home alone on a Saturday night watching rom coms. It can be paralyzing when you feel like you may never ever meet someone again.
Your loved one has to figure out their own way forward, but having you there offering a warm presence and kind words is extremely helpful.
Below are a few kind, uplifting things you can say, as well as a few zingers in case you just can’t help yourself.
What to say to someone going through a breakup
- One day someone will walk into your life and make you see why it never worked out with anyone else.
- Breakups aren’t always meant for make ups, sometimes they are meant for wakeups.
- Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can come together.
- No relationship is ever a waste of your time. If it didn’t bring you what you want it taught you what you don’t want.
- There’s a guy out there who’s going to be really happy that you didn’t get back together with your crappy ex-boyfriend.
- I’m sorry your relationship with the psycho that everyone warned you about didn’t work out.
- Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting them back together.
- Move on. It’s just a chapter in the past. But don’t close the book, just turn the page
- Someone, somewhere is looking for exactly what you have to offer.
- Sometimes you have to give up on people, not because you don’t care, because they don’t.
Famous people who have gone through very public break ups
Here are some famous people who have gone through very public breakups:
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie – Their divorce was covered by the tabloids, and the custody battle went on for years drawing readers from all over the world.
- Taylor Swift – Loves to write a good song about her public breakups, including including with Tom Hiddleston and Calvin Harris.
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux – The couple’s separation and divorce made headlines in the media all over the world.
- Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries – Their short-lived marriage was heavily publicized and ended in a highly publicized divorce. One of Kim’s short marriages that made media lheadlines.
- Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake – The pop stars’ high-profile relationship and subsequent breakup was constantly discussed by the media.
- Katy Perry and Russell Brand – The couple’s marriage break up was high profile, with many wanting to know the juicy details of why the marriage ended.
- Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes – The couple’s divorce made headline news with many people thinking that Scientology and different religious beliefs caused the split.
- Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck – The couple’s highly publicized engagement and subsequent breakup was the subject of much media attention.There was a media frenzy when the couple broke up and called off their engagement.
- Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson – The couple’s whirlwind romance and breakup made for great headlines around the world.
- Johnny Depp and Amber Heard – The couple’s bitter divorce was all over the media, and the intimate details of tumultuous relationship was covered in detail by the media.
More comebacks you might like
- What to say to someone hooking up with an ex
- Why did you and your ex break up
- Kind words in difficult situations